If you have children from 5 - 10yrs old, how are you addressing this tragedy with them?

I haven't let my 6 year old who is in Kindergarten watch any of the TV coverage. I want to discuss with him if in the event that someone dangerous comes into his school how he should react or what he should do. How do you discuss this subject without scaring them?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 2:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• My son heard about it at the after school program he attends. They had the tv on. When i picked him up he did not say anything, than later at home he asked me if I heard about someone shooting and killing children at a school and I said I had heard.
    than he asked why they did it, what made this person do it?
    I said I do not know him and I just do not know why.

But that was all the exposure he got was the brief amount of time they had the tv on.
    If he asks more I will try to answer according to what I know which still is not much.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Kept the tv off the news, told him a bad man hurt some kids far away from here. I know he is going to hear about it at school next week, there's no avoiding it. I can only hope the parents of the handful who are trained to proselytize use their brains and don't instruct their kids to use the abhorrent "this happened because God isn't in school" bullshit that's been going on.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• The weird thing is, I was just having a convocation with my 8yr old about guns the night before this tragedy happened!!... I haven't let her watch the news but let her know a crazy, sick man (told her his brain was sick) came to a school with a gun and hurt lots of people...I had to tell her something because she knew I looked sad for some reason... Our convocation the night before was talking to her mostly about how guns are not toys and if you hear anyone at school or a friend talking about them, to tell a teacher or a grown up because it is not a joke and very serious. We have a gun, but she knows that it is put away and to be used for "bad guys" This is just proof that guns are scary if in the wrong hands....
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• All 4 of my kids fall into that age range. Is it bad that I'm not? They didn't hear about it in school, we don't watch the news anyway, we haven't really had any radio on, so I don't think they've heard anything about it. I honestly haven't heard much about it - just that it happened. I don't really WANT to know, don't want to think about it, because it just makes me sick that somebody would do that.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• My oldest is 6 & in Kindergarten. I did pick her up early yesterday (about an hour & a half early) and gave her a huge hug when I saw her. She knows that something bad happened at an elementary school in CT. I didn't want to tell her more because she already has issues with nightmares and I didn't want to make her have more. She has not seen any of the coverage. I told her that the people at her school will do everything to make sure that her school is safe.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• As of yet. Nothing. DD is 4 and just not old enough to really catch wind of it. If she does we will talk about it... My DS is 8 and has Asperger's and Childhood anxiety. I know if he hears too much about it no matter how much I assure him it was far away and he is safe I would never get him willingly into the car for school again. I have emailed his ASD teacher for her recommendation. I am guessing she plans to discuss it to some extent in his group social skills class he has first thing in the mornings on Mondays. We will keep and open dialog with his teachers and follow their nest recommendations.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• my oldest whom is 6 heart about it at school... i'm not sure how they all heart about it.. but they did..

so i did sit down and have a talk with him about these babies and how sad it was. and wrong..

but with my 5 year old (who's in kindergarten) i didn't speak a word ofi t!
    mampanda0422

Answer by mampanda0422 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I've told them the truth. They had already heard about it at school. I don't hide things from them.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I homeschool, so them hearing it through other kids isn't really a problem, but I am quite frank with my children. I told my oldest that a man broke into a school and killed 20 children about her age, and that we needed to think about how the parents of these children and the community in general will cope with something like this. She asked practical questions, like how he got in, and how the teachers reacted. We read the story about Victoria Soto (spelling may be off). She was a first grade teacher who hid her children in the classroom closets/storage, protecting them ALL, but losing her own life. They wanted reassured that they were safe, of course, and that it happened "far away" from us, which it was.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:37 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• my daughter is 6....I haven't told her anything about it. When I picked her up from school yesterday, I held onto her so tight and starting bawling....she asked me what was wrong and I just said "nothing baby, I just love you sooooooooooo much."
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2012