Is there anything I can do to keep this creep from texting me?

For a little over a year now, this guy has been sending me text messages. It started last October with this text- Him- Hey cutie
Him- U up
me- wrong number
Him- Yahoo?
me- wrong number

Then in January he texted me again with "Hi" I responded by asking him to stop texting me. He texted Hi to me again in April and twice in May (I ignored these). When he texted me the second time my husband was with me and I told him about the texts. He called the guy and told him to stop texting me. That seemed to have worked until he texted me again today. I have had a stressful week and that was my final push. I called the guy and chewed him out and told him to not contact me again. I have AT&T and have been told that I can not block his number. Is there anything that I can do? 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Technology

• I have had a cell phone creeper. This is what I did. (should be easy since your hubs is a cop)

Have the police track the number and contact the guy threatening legal action if there is further contact. Check your state for telecommunication/ media harassment laws.

If possible file a restraining order (in my county, unless a relative or someone you had sex with, can't do it)

If he continues to msg you follow through on harassment charges. (since that psycho mom FB suicide drama a lot of states take this very seriously)

You, do not call him. Do not msg him. Do not have any contact with him from your phone. If he is insane (stalker) that type of contact will only fuel his delusion.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Thanks, feralaxt! I will try that.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• What kind of cell do you have? My cell I can block people

Answer by louise2 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I have an iphone 4.
    JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• You should be able to block the number in your phone.

Answer by louise2 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Consider a prepaid phone or a new carrier, like Verizon. Verizon blocks 10 numbers for free. Prepaid phones won't charge you for text msgs unless you actually open the message and you get to see a little preview of the message usually. Most importantly, stop responding to his antics. You keep reacting somehow and he seems to like it. People usually give up when they don't get a reaction. Use a standard voicemail message that only uses your phone number and not your name or voice. Don't pick up if it's a number you don't recognize. I've been doing this for years and it helps avoid telemarketers and weirdos. If it's important, they'll leave a message. The prepaid phone also helps save a lot of money.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/block-sms-and-text-spam-with-att-messaging-for-free/

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2012