How do I make friends in a new town?

I just moved to a new town and all the people I know are the ones I work with and one of them has a child my dd age and I went to the birthday party today but I felt awkward. My dd is not in her child's class at daycare and all the parents seemed to know each other. I miss my friends. How do I meet people...it's just myself and my daughter.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 7:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2012 in General Parenting

• have you tried meetup dot com?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I was also going to suggest meetup.com. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:04 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• tried for this area and it was all gay and lesbian.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Do you go to church? That's where I have met some of my good friends. The others are mostly parents of my kids friends.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• queer folk not only have straight friends but kids too.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I understand they have friends I am not saying that but I would not feel comfortable joining a lesbian group when I am straight. That is just me. The point of the meetups is to meet people that you have something in common with and as a straight woman I do not want to join a lesbian group. I joined a church across the street and I been there once because my daughter was sick last weekend and I am sick this weekend. I was still going to go today but I debating. I can always start my own meetup.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Volunteer and you'd meet people faster that way. Plus, you'd have more to talk about and have a reason to talk to people by trying to engage others in your volunteer work. Children's theater, animal rescue etc. It sounds like you may also need to practice breaking the ice on conversations more. If you're around other parents, ask them about their kids or give them a compliment (how old is she? where did you get that cute jacket she's wearing? where's a good place to shop for kids/food/etc? I love your necklace! Where did you get that?) Throw your own get-togethers/play dates. Have a theme for each get-together and suggest that it would be a great way for parents to kind of have a night out while still watching their kids. Potluck dinners, wine and cheese nights, board game nights, card games, etc. The more you are able to laugh at yourself, the more at ease you make other people feel. They are probably just as shy as you
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2012