Damned fruit flies!!!

Someone make them GO AWAY!

We have scrubbed the kitchen. replaced the trashcan to one with a lid, put all the fruit in the fridge. Cleaned all the drains and thrown out all the old sponges. Plus set up 3 traps and have been vacuuming them up 20 at a time all day long! I swear they are multiplying out of thin air!! Oh and there was none. Then few so we scrubbed everythingand now there is 3 million all in a 48 hour span!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:19 PM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Home & Garden

• What type of traps? I used a couple small glasses of apple cider vinegar, worked well.

Answer by missanc at 9:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Ohhh!! MYYY GOSSSHHH!!!!
    This past summer, my neice came to live with us - NEVER had I EVER experienced those little buggers in my house in YEARS!
    So, I knew exactly whta to do - get a little salad plate pour about 1/4 cup of wine (does not matter what kind) and a circle of dish soap just at the rim of the wine...the fruit flies came from everywhere! It was a food fest on the plate!
    I tore the kitchen apart for 3 months with those flies!! Finally in the end I found out where the little buggers were - in the paper part of the trash can - she had thrown a banana peel in the trash and it went in to the trash bags and sat there...accumulating flies more and more! Needless to say, she left and so did the fruit flies :)
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I have several different kinds. The most effective is a bowl containing a banana covered in plastic wrap with holes in it. I also have a small plate of wine and several sticky tape fly traps.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• You're close with your banana trap but it doesn't kill them. User the wine/fruit juice/apple cider vinegar mixed with a couple squirts of dish soap and covered with the plastic wrap. Poke the holes with a toothpick, big enough so they can get in but not out. Make sure there is no food left outside of the fridge and no standing water anywhere. Do your dishes right away and don't leave them in the sink. Close bathroom doors and toilet lids ALWAYS. Close the sink stopper after using the sink each time - in every room. Fruit flies can live in the sink drains. My friends had fruit flies bad and within 2 days, I eliminated 90% of them by killing the ones I saw and using these methods. By the way, I've never had a fruit fly problem because these are the things I do every day no matter what. Buying several Venus fly trap plants also might help. Sticky fly traps also help. Good luck!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2012