How can labor last more than 24 hours?

I have seen a few women say that their labor last 3 days, 36 hours, etc. How is that possible? I'm really confused do they just start counting their labor as soon as they have a contraction?

xocyncyn

Asked by xocyncyn at 12:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes. From first contraction till delivery I was in labor for 28 hours. Given for the first 12 hours or so contractions are irregular and not that painful, so you aren't in pain the whole time.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Ohhhh ok. See I was induced they started the pitosin @ 1:45 am broke my water @ 4:25am and then I had my daughter @ 12:39pm So I say my labor was almost 12 hours. But I really didn't feel any pain until after they broke my water.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 12:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i was induced and in so much pain that i could not relax so that i could dilate and then they finally gave me an epidural after 15 hours of being a 2 and then another 7 hours went and 30 minutes of pushing and i had my son a total of 23 hours.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• YES... I had a 40 hour labor, it can be very long for your first baby. The contractions would come and go, it felt like bad period cramps!!!
    Anonymous

• Yes it happens. My mom was in labor with me for 36 hours, I was breech.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Mine lasted 25 hours. 5 days before that, I was in labor for 14 hours and it stopped. Some women have had 72 hour labors. And in rare cases, labor has lasted a week, sometimes even more.
    Anonymous

• It is a tricky thing to count how long labor is. Some women have constant contractions for months,some dont have any contractions until they hit transition.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• YES IT IS POSSIBLE, SOME OB BRING YOU IN EVEN IF YOUR CONTRACTIONS IS MILD, AND NOT FULLY READY FOR DELIVERY, IT ALL DEPENDS ON THAT BABY AND WHEN SHE/ HE IS READY TO COME, SOMETIMES IF THERES DIFFICULTIES, THEN SOME OB'S CAN SPEED UP THE LABOR
    Ms.Laterice

Answer by Ms.Laterice at 2:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I just count from when I was admitted to Labor and Delivery until when my lil girl was born. So like 7 1/2 hours. Cuz...I'm not sure when my contractions started, it was in the middle of the night when I was trying to sleep -.-; and I didn't realize what was going on until about 5am and I wasn't admitted into the hospital until noon.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Poor ladies...40 hours??? Thats terrible. All 4 of my babies were born within 8 hours from first contraction to delivery. I feel very lucky.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2009