"No rise in mass killings"

And yet those who study mass shootings say they are not becoming more common.

"There is no pattern, there is no increase," says criminologist James Allen Fox of Boston's Northeastern University, who has been studying the subject since the 1980s, spurred by a rash of mass shootings in post offices.

The random mass shootings that get the most media attention are the rarest, Fox says. Most people who die of bullet wounds knew the identity of their killer. Society moves on, he says, because of our ability to distance ourselves from the horror of the day, and because people believe that these tragedies are "one of the unfortunate prices we pay for our freedoms."

Grant Duwe, a criminologist with the Minnesota Department of Corrections who has written a history of mass murders in America, said that while mass shootings rose between the 1960s and the 1990s, they actually dropped in the 2000s. And mass killings actually reached their peak in 1929, according to his data. He estimates that there were 32 in the 1980s, 42 in the 1990s and 26 in the first decade of the century.

Chances of being killed in a mass shooting, he says, are probably no greater than being struck by lightning.

the article is very interesting and makes a good point at the end. that there is no rise in mass killings, just a rise in reporting them. and thankfully, a rise in ppl who are fighting to end this kind of pain. hopefully, this can quell some of our fears.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 12:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I tend to agree. The media splashes even on for days on end and you feel like it is every where. I would have guessed That the numbers fuctuate up and down slightly but basucally sta the same. It is our knowledge of the events happening that has changed.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Chances of being killed in a mass shooting, he says, are probably no greater than being struck by lightning.

That doesn't mean anything to the families who have lost their loved ones from mass shootings. That's still a higher chance than I'm comfortable with. I wish there was something that could eliminate this because it's so unfair, but I know that's just wishful thinking.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 2:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• "That doesn't mean anything to the families who have lost their loved ones from mass shootings"

oh of course not, that wasnt my intention. the article was more making the point that ppl are starting to learn from mass killings and trying to figure out how to stop them than they did back in the day. i meant maybe it could help all of us feel better about sending our kids to school Monday, that these types of things arent as common as they feel seeing as this year has been quite terrible when it comes to mass shootings.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 2:44 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• If you look at other societies it will tell you that this society of ours is the only one with a repetitive patterns of mass killings, others have availability of guns and this does not happen as often. True the media dwells on it too much, but it is a way of dealing with the grief....

Answer by older at 8:14 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I don't know if the facts are accurate or not. I don't have access to the stats, but I do know that every time it happens - here or in another country - it is a shock. I don't know how anyone can just kill multiple people who had nothing to do with their life.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That doesn't mean anything to the families who have lost their loved ones from mass shootings

^^ EXACTLY
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2012