The problem is not guns, it's a godless society

this is about the 4th or 5th time i've seen this on my FB since the elementary school massacre in Newtown, CT on Friday.

anyone care to explain what exactly a "godless society" is? i thought the logic was that god was everywhere all the time. has god abandoned us? does that therefore state that his love comes with conditions? i.e. you must all worship me, have my name everywhere, have children pray in my name in schools regardless of their beliefs, or i'll abandon you? 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I think when they say Godless, they mean people without God first in thier lives.

As far as Gun laws go. Dh and I own a gun and I refuse to give it up. I whole heartily believe that I have a right to defend myself and if owning a gun is how I choose to do it, then so be it.

I do believe the screening process for owning one needs to be more stringent. I know in texas you can sell your gun to anyone as long as they have a valid texas license. That is so wrong!

4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:49 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• There has always been violence in the world. Now we just get to have it splashed across the TV 24/7.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Apparently we are "godless" bc non Christians wish to be respected as well as Christians. And that means my child's teacher can't start the day with a hail Mary or in Jesus name amen prayer of any kind. Somehow that eradicated this all powerful god from all believers lives. Somehow god has to reside within a building with his name spoken aloud at any given moment by all people in order for him to be present.
    Me thinks some people are shaking in their faith and realizing just how absent he is from their own hearts and lives.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I think when they say Godless, they mean people without God first in thier

So people without god are the reason Adam Lanza went on a shooting spree in an elementary school?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Not having God in their lives is not the problem here, the availability of mass destruction guns is the culprit, gun laws need to change, and our society of violence, be it in the movies or games our children play with needs to change too! We can still have our low caliber guns for protection but anything else needs to go! Other societies have guns available and we are the only society that has a problem with it..........

Answer by older at 7:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• So people without God are the reason Adam Lanza....

Not my words. You asked a question and I gave you the answer I thought fit.

"anyone care to explain what exactly a "godless society" is?" So I gave you my answer.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• This isn't about God...

It's about a lot of things- the media, guns, mental health, parenting, our culture...
    there are other countries that have less God and less gun violence
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I'm asking to explain the logic behind a godless society and how it pertains to the "problem" which is criminals breaking the law. I was drawing a conclusion from your answer and applied it to the question I asked.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Sorry if the question wasn't clear.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• So the only people who kill others are Godless?

Answer by louise2 at 8:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2012