The problem is not guns, it's a godless society

this is about the 4th or 5th time i've seen this on my FB since the elementary school massacre in Newtown, CT on Friday.

anyone care to explain what exactly a "godless society" is? i thought the logic was that god was everywhere all the time. has god abandoned us? does that therefore state that his love comes with conditions? i.e. you must all worship me, have my name everywhere, have children pray in my name in schools regardless of their beliefs, or i'll abandon you? 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• So the only people who kill others are Godless?

That would be an interesting spin off. Wasn't hitler a man of god? It begs the question are people who kill yet follow in the footsteps of a god really tenants of their faith or are they "godless"
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:15 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• There have been plenty of killings done in the name of God. There are many people who don't believe in any God who wouldn't hurt a fly.

The problem isn't a lack of God , but a lack of community--unless a tragedy occurs.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Actually, it's guns.

Several murders/mass murderers were Christians. As a "godless" person, I can absolutely guarantee you that I am NOT part of the problem. I'm one of the few actively trying to work towards a solution.

Gotta love how people are spewing this bullshit when they have no idea of the shooter's faith.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I don't believe guns are the problem, but neither is a godless society. I've seen similar post all over FB too. I've just held my tongue; I really don't want to get in an argument about God being forced out of schools,etc especially with people who aren't going to change their minds. (Like arguing with a brick wall.)I don't believe the problems have anything to do with religion. Charlot, mentioned a good many of them: parenting, mental illness, etc.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I think we can trace the beginning of the decline of our civilization to 8-6-1945. The day we decided that humans were expendable. We have spent the time since then devising new and more horrific and impersonal way to kill
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 9:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I think it's pointless to find a "reason" for this. It was an act of evil and evil doesn't need a motive, it's pointless and random. It's natural to try to find a reason, to seek an explanation that we can use to try to prevent such tragedies from happening again. And so we start pointing fingers at all the stuff that makes us feel we can "fix" what was wrong: guns, lack of G-d, drugs, mental illness, whatever lures us into a false sense of control.
    But evil happens. All we can do is find ways to diminish the possibility that it will hit us, but as many have said, a madman determined to kill will do so. We can make it more difficult for them by having stricter gun control, and I think this tragedy does show the need for it, but we have to be aware that's not a deterrent for all tragedies. There's no such thing.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Yep, God's an egotistical monster, apparently.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That wouldn't explain, then, why some of the least religious countries in the world also have some of the lowest violent crime rates. 

There's absolutely no logic, reason, or anything factual about those idiotic statements that we experience so much massive violence because we don't allow god in schools.  It's ludicrous, and frustrating to think that we have such stupid people running around this nation, some in public office or in high profile jobs, spouting such idiocy.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• yeah...when society wasnt "Godless" it was a pretty disgusting time. the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Burning Times...oh yes its our "godless" society that's caused all this pain. i just dont understand these ppl!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2012