The problem is not guns, it's a godless society

this is about the 4th or 5th time i've seen this on my FB since the elementary school massacre in Newtown, CT on Friday.

anyone care to explain what exactly a "godless society" is? i thought the logic was that god was everywhere all the time. has god abandoned us? does that therefore state that his love comes with conditions? i.e. you must all worship me, have my name everywhere, have children pray in my name in schools regardless of their beliefs, or i'll abandon you? 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Up until that time, killing was an intimate act.

No it wasn't. Do you really think all the emperors and kings were travelling 10,000 miles to slaughter people in person? They were sending troops to do that for them. Even the ones who did go into battle themselves took a command role. They were never wall fodder.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• It's a mental society not a Godless society.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That is the day we decided that killing from a distance and en mass was acceptable. Up until that time, killing was an intimate act.
    ****************************************************
    Really? I think you need to read up a little on the world's history. Mass killings have been going on since the beginning of man.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• So using arrows and catapults and trebuche is what you call intimate?

How about rolling large rocks and boulders down the side of a hill or oil off the top of a castle? ROFLOL shall I continue?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• The day we decided that humans were expendable.

So from the time the first humans walked on the earth?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• "That is the day we decided that killing from a distance and en mass was acceptable. Up until that time, killing was an intimate act"
    Ok, so the bombs dropped during WWI were somehow more personal and intimate? Please, tell me how that is possible.
    To the op, I almost "liked" that until I slowed down and read what it said. I agree with it until the "godless society" part. That's where they loss me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• The nations of Islam have god in their government and in their society, and they slaughter more innocents in a single day than Adam Lanza would have had time for. They are a god-fearing society and they are killing in their god's name, every day. Every hour. I think I prefer a godless society to one that is based on a god like the muslim one. Or like the catholic one that birthed the Inquisition and the crusades (yes there were more than one). Or the christian one that would rob American citizens of their rights to have a child they want instead of one they aren't ready for, or to love the person they want regardless of sex or color or beliefs.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That everyone does what is right in their own eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Ok, say we do "put God back into school." Who's God? In what way? How much? What about the students who don't "bring God with them in their hearts?"

God has not been banned from schools; if God is something that is truly so omnipresent, he is still there.

Believers of many different faiths and atheists all have morals and humanity and would not go out and kill just because, it's a select few individuals (who have been of many different faiths and philosophies) who do heinous acts. We cannot just say "It's because God isn't allowed!" or "ban all the guns!" or "It's not guns, it's that mentally ill people don't get help!" I think it's ignorant to say that only one issue is at play here and that addressing that one issue - and only that one issue - will solve it all and we will never have to witness what happened in Connecticut again.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• "That is the day we decided that killing from a distance and en mass was acceptable. Up until that time, killing was an intimate act."

those were not the first bombs ever dropped. Hitler was not at the concentration camps when his armies thru ppl into gas chambers. Pearl Harbor was done from planes in the sky. you need to crack a history book.

also, theres a reason no country has dropped an A-Bomb since then...the consequences were too much. so if anything we've learned from that horrible instance since no one has ever used it again.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2012