The problem is not guns, it's a godless society

this is about the 4th or 5th time i've seen this on my FB since the elementary school massacre in Newtown, CT on Friday.

anyone care to explain what exactly a "godless society" is? i thought the logic was that god was everywhere all the time. has god abandoned us? does that therefore state that his love comes with conditions? i.e. you must all worship me, have my name everywhere, have children pray in my name in schools regardless of their beliefs, or i'll abandon you? 

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:57 AM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Apparently we are "godless" bc non Christians wish to be respected as well as Christians. And that means my child's teacher can't start the day with a hail Mary or in Jesus name amen prayer of any kind. Somehow that eradicated this all powerful god from all believers lives. Somehow god has to reside within a building with his name spoken aloud at any given moment by all people in order for him to be present.
    Me thinks some people are shaking in their faith and realizing just how absent he is from their own hearts and lives.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• yeah...when society wasnt "Godless" it was a pretty disgusting time. the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Burning Times...oh yes its our "godless" society that's caused all this pain. i just dont understand these ppl!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I don't believe guns are the problem, but neither is a godless society. I've seen similar post all over FB too. I've just held my tongue; I really don't want to get in an argument about God being forced out of schools,etc especially with people who aren't going to change their minds. (Like arguing with a brick wall.)I don't believe the problems have anything to do with religion. Charlot, mentioned a good many of them: parenting, mental illness, etc.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:36 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Guess that means the Amish are also godless, considering what happened to those children at their school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• This isn't about God...

It's about a lot of things- the media, guns, mental health, parenting, our culture...
    there are other countries that have less God and less gun violence
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Actually, it's guns.

Several murders/mass murderers were Christians. As a "godless" person, I can absolutely guarantee you that I am NOT part of the problem. I'm one of the few actively trying to work towards a solution.

Gotta love how people are spewing this bullshit when they have no idea of the shooter's faith.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I think it's pointless to find a "reason" for this. It was an act of evil and evil doesn't need a motive, it's pointless and random. It's natural to try to find a reason, to seek an explanation that we can use to try to prevent such tragedies from happening again. And so we start pointing fingers at all the stuff that makes us feel we can "fix" what was wrong: guns, lack of G-d, drugs, mental illness, whatever lures us into a false sense of control.
    But evil happens. All we can do is find ways to diminish the possibility that it will hit us, but as many have said, a madman determined to kill will do so. We can make it more difficult for them by having stricter gun control, and I think this tragedy does show the need for it, but we have to be aware that's not a deterrent for all tragedies. There's no such thing.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• "I think we can trace the beginning of the decline of our civilization to 8-6-1945"

your not looking hard enough...you cant just pick a point in time & say "oh thats it". what about Hitler killing millions of innocent Jews? what about slavery? what about the horrors done by the Spanish to the Native ppl's of America?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Up until that time, killing was an intimate act.

No it wasn't. Do you really think all the emperors and kings were travelling 10,000 miles to slaughter people in person? They were sending troops to do that for them. Even the ones who did go into battle themselves took a command role. They were never wall fodder.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That is the day we decided that killing from a distance and en mass was acceptable. Up until that time, killing was an intimate act.
    ****************************************************
    Really? I think you need to read up a little on the world's history. Mass killings have been going on since the beginning of man.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012