Christmas Blues and not sure what to do

My parents had a tradition, every year they would get me and my siblings a limited edition or handmade ornament for Christmas. When I moved out, my parents gifted me all the ornaments that they had given me over the years. So I could decorate my own tree with them. I thought that was a wonderful idea so I started that same tradition with my family. This past summer we had to move into a small place and my MIL offered to hold all our keepsakes so we wouldn't have to put them in storage.

Yesterday I went over to get the box of ornaments only to find it (and most of the other keepsakes she was holding for us) destroyed. The ornaments were shattered beyond repair. Even my kids' Baby first Christmas ornaments. I know they are just things but I started bawling when I saw the damage. There is no way to replace these, they aren't made anymore. Mt MIL snapped at me that "I need to be more careful with my keepsakes" and I can "just go out and buy new ornaments".

My husband is sympathetic, but he doesn't understand. He was raised to have things for practical reasons, not sentimental. He just doesn't get why I'm angry with his mom nor why I'm upset. It feels like I've lost part of my history, and part of my children's as well.

I don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?

EDIT: The box of ornaments was underneath two boxes of books. I have my doubts that it was an accident.

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 8:52 AM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Holidays

• I know it is hard to lose things like that. I lost everything of ours in a house fire some years ago. All the keepsakes from my grandparents, gone. Pictures, gone. But my memories are still with me. And yes, it does take some time to get "over" it. But you will, in time. Start a new tradition, or collection. If you still have the pieces, can you make a collage or mosaic with the pieces? That way you will still have them with you, in a sense.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I know how you feel! but it was not done on purpose was it? Your history is still intact in your heart, start collecting to pass it on to your children, keep the trend going...material things can be replaced but spiritual ones never go away.

Answer by older at 8:58 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Who put them in her storage? Are you suggesting that you MIL went and purposely went out and thumped boxes of books down on top of that box in order to break them?
    I know you are grieving but I doubt she would go to such trouble.
    How to get over it. Start by counting your blessing andforgiving whomever for the loss in your hear. In the fire we lost everything including pictures. Totally irreplacable. But they are just things in the end and things can be replace (maybe not with the same ones) but with other things. Go and buy the ornaments to start your new tradition.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I'm sorry that happened, but you have to remember those aren't real things. You have the REAL people in your life whom you love to actually celebrate with. Don't get depressed about material things. Anything can happen, fires, floods, etc.... we never know if we will have our keepsakes for years to come. But, we will always have our loved ones... if not in person, in spirit.

When I moved, I lost all my scrapbooks from when I was a child through about 20. Broke my heart... but it's life. You have to carry on.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• What happened to them to cause them to be destroyed?

I'm sorry. I understand why you're so upset. I would be too.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I'm so sorry. What makes you think that it wasn't an accident?
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 9:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• @snookyfritz: Just my MIL's attitude in all this. She seems happy about the whole situation.
    SolaraDarkset

Comment by SolaraDarkset (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2012

• If you think this was done to spite you, then confront her and clear the air before you spend the rest of your life resenting the woman..if this was not intentional then let it go, and start your set of ornaments

Answer by older at 10:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2012