Okay so all cars requiring a mechanism to detect alcohol before cranking is an invasion of privacy and 'punishing' good people...

but 'more strict' gun laws' are a 'must'??

In 2010, drunken drivers killed 10,288 people. Guns were used in 11,078 homicides in the U.S.

so... tell me again why tightening gun laws is a must but tightening driving laws is wrong....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• just trying to figure out why one is 'bigger' than the other- I totally agree with you Crafty.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I agree though I do think it is wrong to have the breathalizer in all cars.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Actually, I'm all for having the breathalyzer in all cars. I have no problems with EITHER.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• It is expensive and at the cost to who? Who is going to pay for it. What good would it do, you just have someone who does not drink breath into it. You could have a parent have their child breath into it. It is pointless.... and not going to stop drunk driving. I am NOT for tougher gun laws either. What might help stop drunk driving is bars had breathalyzers at their place of business and if you were going to be drinking to hand in your car keys and before you left, you had to take a breathalyzer to get your keys back.  That seems like you would catch more people prior to drinking and driving.

Anonymous

• But it's not the drivers fault if they get behind the wheel drunk, it's the CAR'S!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• See they are equally stupid. Neither one solves anything because their are ways around both yet people only kick and scream over gun laws.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• The bar law is good too, Anon... but if someone is drinking at home or on the street it won't stop them from drinking and driving.

Breathalyzers to prevent engine start in EVERY car can be pretty effective. I'd pay a higher price on my car for that. The issue is whether you retroactively fit ALL vehicles for it.

Or you raise the taxes on liquor to pay for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Breathalyzers to prevent engine start in EVERY car can be pretty effective.

It really only has a limited scope. Someone drinking at home who wants to leave the house is going to do the same thing millions of pot smokers do to get out of drug tests - have their kid do it for them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Because drinking keeps you stupid, which is OK with them. Owning a gun means you are not, and they don't like that.
    Anonymous