Sending my baby away - is it just me?!

Ok. So my husband went to camp all his life and wants to send our son this summer. We found this really nice camp advice group to help us find a good fit and we've narrowed the options down to three summer camps:

http://www.choicecamps.com/overnight-summer-camps/pennsylvania/camp-chen-a-wanda/93/

http://www.choicecamps.com/overnight-summer-camps/new-hampshire/camp-moosilauke/124

Now I never went to camp and wouldn't mind just keeping him at home or in day camp over the summer. I'm nervous about sending him away for 4 weeks or even 2.

Is this just me?! I know he'll have to leave the nest at some point but he's still rather young and I'm concerned.

Am I being one of those crazy overprotective moms?

annmarque

Asked by annmarque at 1:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• How old is he exactly? I don't think I'd be comfortable with sending any kid under the age of maybe 13 or 14 away for weeks at a time. They're still young and kinda helpless in certain circumstances. How far is the camp?
    Anonymous

• I agree that it depends on the age of your child. Just because your husband went to camp doesn't mean that it is best for your child. What does your child think about the idea? Personally, I wouldn't send a very young child away to camp for 2-4 weeks.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Camp is great, he will get to be independent while being in a structured environment. I am hoping to send my kids to camp this year. I think it's harder on the parents then the kids.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:35 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• How old is your son? Depends on his age, imo.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If he is a tween, then I would let him decide. No child should ever be made to go away from home to camp against their will. Maybe grandmas or something, but not camp. He might find that he enjoys it though. Just let him decide on his own and don't decide for him based on both of your different experiences.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Your feelings are 100% natural & normal. I personally feel it depends upon your son & if he wants to go. It would definitely make it easier if he could get a friend to go with him. The first time my daughter went to an overnight girl scout camp she went with a friend & her sister. Her older sister was not in their group but they did get to see her at eating times. My daughter had fun, learned some cooking, went canoeing, swimming & all in all it was a positive experience. Me, on the otherhand, on the 2nd day she was gone I thought I was going to die. I finally calmed down & by the end of the week was ok and got to do a few things I rarely get to do without her. My daughter has no grandparents alive so my husband & I get very few breaks. Other relatives are far away or just too busy with their own lives so......there are pluses to camps & just learn as much as you can about it before you son goes if you decide upon it. Good luc
    LKornak

Answer by LKornak at 9:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I don't know if it is a question of right or wrong, but I know I would have a hard time sending my child to camp for more than a week. My son is 11 and I just couldn't put myself through it, honestly! Especially if he had any reservations about going at all.... If my son was begging me to go, maybe I could push myself to let him, but it would never come from me. I know kids wind up having a good time....but if it isn't something you are used to in your own life, it is hard as a mom!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:14 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It depends on how old he is. If he's 10 you may want to wait a year or two, depending on his attitude. Some kids are more sinsitive than others. But usually around 11 or 12 is the best year to send a kid to camp. They are old enough to be away from home (think about it, you were that age you remember what it''s like to be 12) Kids that age think it's a big adventure and great to have some "freedom" from mom and dad. But this is also a great age too, because they are still young enough to play and have fun. Teens that go to camp are usually to concerned with being "cool" and "hooking up" and all that stuff. Sure it's a part of growing up, but if you are going to start camp for your son do it early so he can have some fun and make friends, before his camp experiance turns into "who can get a girl friend" and "who got to 2nd base".
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 4:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009