1964 1975 1988 1994 2008

In 1964 a German schizophrenic took a homemade flamethrower to a local school, killed many people, some in person, and some from the resulting fires he set, and after killing others, swallowed insecticide, dying within 24 hours while in police custody.

In 1975 a Canadian student raped a clasmate and stabbed her to death before he went to school, started shooting, took hostages, and after killing others, and took his own life.

In 1988 a psychotic woman walked into a schoolyard in Winnetka, IL, the state with the strictest gun laws in the country, started shooting, took hostages, and after killing others, took her own life.

In 1999, a Danish university student went to school, started shooting, and after killing others, took his own life.

In 2008, an Israeli school bus driver walked into the school, started shooting, and after killing others, was killed by a student who was carrying his own gun before he could kill more.

This is not a new phenomenon. This is not an American thing. This is not deterred by gun laws. These aren't even the incidents with the highest death tolls, simply an assortment of different decades and countries.

Every murder is tragic. Every death, regardless of the cause, is tragic. But is tragedy reason enough to lose all perspective in life? Over the past few days we've seen people insisting we need everything from mandatory Christian prayer in schools (I guess the Amish schoolhouse that was shot up contained the world's only non-Christian Amish), to gestapo-like action against every citizen to ensure guns are removed from everyone. Those won't change a thing.

How exactly do people intend to legislate human nature out of humanity?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• You can't take the sickos out of the equation. If someone is determined to kill he or she will find a way. Mass murders have been going on since the dawn of time. I don't know what the solution is, but it isn't god and it isn't taking guns away from law abiding citizens.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Oh, stop with all of the facts. Can't you just be emotional for a while?

How exactly do people intend to legislate human nature out of humanity? I don't think it's possible, just like it's not possible to legislate morals and ethics.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Lobotomies? lol
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• All I have to say is that IMO we should at least TRY to do something about things like this, but thank God we're not the ones who have to decide that because we would suck horribly at it lol.

Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 1:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Sheepishly lol at Dard.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Very poignant thoughts there NP. I guess whenever something this horrific happens, there is a knee jerk reaction to want to place blame & of course cry out for gun control. We all know that those who want to acquire a gun WILL find a way to get one. Those who are intent on committing such heinous crimes, WILL find another way to inflict their madness if guns are not available. I just have to SMH & avoid further coverage of this horrible tragedy to save my sanity & what bit of holiday spirit I can muster for my own family. :(

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Maybe we should curtail violence in movies and video games for the young ones....this kind of thing desensitizes people ...this society if full of violence that can be imitated by a sick mind.....

Answer by older at 1:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• this kind of thing desensitizes people

No, the contrary. Studies have shown that they are an outlet for emotions that we are no longer able to adequately expend because we no longer are faced with "survival" situations. The same is true of contact sports, but ultimately, the games and movies are actually safer than the sports (no, I'm not one of the ban high school football people, but it's a basic fact, you're more likely to get hurt playing football on a field than on a Kinect). If anything MORE games might prevent these things from happening.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I like the facts because its what many of us have been trying to say for a very long time.

A KILLER is a KILLER, if its not by gun it will be by another type of weapon. People make homemade bombs, fly planes and drive cars into buildings, burn things down, or simply kill by their own hand.

It is tragic, it is upsetting to hear and see it but there is not a single thing anyone can do to make it stop.
    I had a home daycare, babies to school age. A young man got mad at one of the moms and I guess he felt he would hurt her by hurting her child and he drove through my house ( the side where the daycare room was). IF the babies had been down for a nap I would have lost my grandchild and a friends baby. Fortunatley we were in the kitchen having snack and the babies were in highchairs.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• As much as people and I wish these things never ever happened. There is truly no way to stop someone hell bent on doing it. Absolutely no way. Period.

If guns were the problem, we would have this happen all the time before gun control laws. If there were no guns at all, except for police or military, they could steal those. If there were no guns at all, even for police and military, then they would put one together or find another way to do it.

Maybe every state needs concealed carry. If you don't know whether your intended victim(s) are armed or not, how likely would you be to start shooting? Maybe you would, but it would end a lot sooner if someone was armed and could stop you.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2012