Mental illness - sad but true

Seriously irritated with Cm at the moment - no matter what I do I cannot seem to post this- in whole OR in part.

here is the link. *I hope...I'm on Chrome so we'll see...

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

****
The sad thing is that the statement about them having to commit a crime before anyone DOES anything is so true. That's what had to happen with my sister, and even so- it wasn't until something really drastic that affected other people (a fire she started) worked.

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 1:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Something changed recently, but it still works. When you want to use a link, make sure you're in full edit, and highlight the link, click the link button (looks like a paperclip or a chain link) then paste in the address again. Same way you turn regular words into links.

As for the article - far too many people who NEED to read it won't, because they'd rather scream about guns.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Well, I'm pretty sure most everyone here knows my views on this subject, so I won't go into my little rant anymore. I'm so tired of the gun control folks who refuse to address the real issue. I'm done banging my head against that wall though. It is sad that something tragic has to happen before we are willing to see it or do anything about it. When I worked ER, it was sad the number of people who were brought in on a M1 hold, but they were released before even 24 hrs were passed. The hands of healthcare workers, social workers, counselors are often tied, and sometimes they find themselves between a rock and a hard place when it comes to patients they see. Unfortunately sometimes as a result we all suffer.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• What is sad is how few people are reading and responding to this as compared to the gun laws and god posts. Fixing our mental health care is more important than either of the other two but no one wants to deal with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I actually read that on FB. I agree that it is time for mental health issues to come to light and be treated just as seriously as any other illness. My BIL is an unmedicated bi-polar. He is currently behind bars (thank the Gods) for violating parole and voyuerism. It worries me greatly about what he is going to do when he ets out again. He has been behind bars for so long that he has become institutionalized. So, we he gets back out, he losses control without someone over him telling him everything. It saddens me that so many mentally ill people fall through the cracks and then we call for gun "control" (exactly what is that?) when a tragedy like this occurs.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Mental illness is the pink elephant in the room. We were talking about this me and my friend and we laughed because it was so Ironic. There are healthy older people who they are trying to force into living centers that do not need care but the truly mentally ill are walking the streets with no care? Now we have to deal with it because its right here and right now.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I agree whole heartily. There will not be one word of disagreement from me. My son is on a waiting list for free behavioral health that is 2 years long and we are LUCKY our community has the option at all.... I will not go into any more detail here but his need for behavioral intervention is critical.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That made me tear up.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• DH use to work the night shift in a crisis center for kids 10-18. he still says it was the worst 3 years of his life b/c they couldnt do anything for these kids. there were nights he had to stand in the doorway of a padded panic room & keep a kid in them (there were no doors). he's seen a kid crack his skull open on the concrete floor out of pure rage. one kid stabbed himself with a pencil. & theres so much more. but all they could do was CPI holds & call the nurse to dope them up.

until we change how the system works these kids will never get help & a handful will grow up to be mass murderers. de-institutionalizing America has done a lot of good for most ppl, especially the mentally retarded. but sadly, there are some ppl who just cant live in society & dont belong in jail. i know it sounds awful but sometimes a facility that can handle these illness is where these ppl should be until we can find a way to help them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Wow! That's so sad :(
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2012