How do you interpret the second amendment?

I see people say that they interpret that we were never meant to have more than a musket. If that is the case, what is the second amendment for? What is it's purpose? To allow us to hunt? Why did our founders think it was important for us to have the right to bear arms?

*I already know my answer, just curious as to what others think.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 1:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• They had already lived (or their families did) in a society where only certain people could be armed. And when that happens, all kinds of bad things happen. Mostly from those who are armed. By allowing every one the right to keep and bear arms they said that we are all equal, that we matter, that we are important, and that we will not be under the tyranny of one who does have arms while we do not.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Muskets were top of line at the time. Just as medicine has improved so has the manufacture of guns. This is a foolish idea IMO (that we were only meant to have muskets)
    They were only meant to hunt. No they were meant to hunt and to protect not only themselves personally but the entirety of the village/ township/country.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Our founding fathers decided that armed citizens were the best army of all.

George Washington is credited for this calling it a well regulated militia, which would consist of every able bodied man in America.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That I have the right to keep and bear arms as a private citizen. No restrictions.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• so someone, anyone please explain to me how this amendment means that anyone has the "right" to keep as many and varied arms as they wish?

Good question. I cannot wrap my mind around why someone would need so many guns and a large amount on ammunition.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• The other thing that people seem to forget is that our Constitution was written at a time when our nation was as fragile as a premature baby. It wouldn't have taken much to kill it, and the fear was of another sovereign nation taking OUR sovereignty.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• To be able to protect ourselves from enemies foreign or domestic

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I believe the purpose behind that was to make sure the King's English Army could not come over here & invade us (private citizens) who escaped from under their thumb. And also to protect us against the possible violent "Natives" in our country.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Relevant back then, danger to society now.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 5:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Very simply, if the right to bear arms should be restricted to muskets, the right to free speech should be restricted to a quill and ink, allowed only to white men. The FF's had no inkling of the possibility of real time international communication. They wrote the other laws with the communication time in mind. People often speak (literally or virtually) when they should not, and it cannot be undone due to instant communication, yet we do not attempt to roll speech back to the 18th century.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2012