Do you think volunteering with a 3 yr old is a good idea?

I want to start volunteering again and I am a single mother with a 3 yr old daughtr and I signed up to bring presents to local senior centers. but do you think 3 yr old is too young to start voluneering?

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 2:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in General Parenting

• She may not be able to keep with one activity for long but the elderly will enjoy seeing a little one there.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I don't see why not, specially if you make the experience a pleasant one, a memorable one...these kinds of things exposed to a child can only be good for everyone...

Answer by older at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I think it's a wonderful idea. Just keep in mind the attention span for that age isn't very long so don't plan an entire day of it.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Depends on the three year old
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• she is almost four and she loves to talk to people and I think elderly people remind her of her greatgrand ma an her grandparents. we shall see what happens. I have to wait to see if they get back to me. She loves to help.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I think it would be great for both of you and the seniors would love having her around.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I don't see how it could hurt anything. She's a little young to understand empathy for others, but if this is something you plan on continuing for a while she will eventually learn that its great doing things for other people.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• It depends on the activity. I tried volunteering at a horse rescue with my then 4 year old daughter. After two weeks there they told me not to bring her back, even though she stayed right next to my side, within arm's reach of me, when we were there. Since it was something I wanted to do WITH her, I've not been back. That was about a year ago.

I know my grandma always loved visiting with kids of all ages. I think it would be fabulous for the two of you to volunteer at a senior center. There is an amazing bond between the elderly and the young.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• If your 3 yr. old is fairly well behaved, then the Seniors would probably really enjoy having her there. They love kids! Kids add sunshine and life. If you are in doubt, then have someone care for her while you volunteer. But choose your caregiver very carefully. I hope you can take her with you!
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Well it would certainly light up the day of the elderly folks, most of them anyway, as long as you can supervise her in the same way that you would normally while doing what you need to do that would be my main concern, I cant imagine being able to do it with my daughter when she was 3, as she was super active, I would have probably taken one of my older nieces with me to help.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2012