Where do we start as a country in dealing with mental illness.

Exactly what resources do parents need? If you have a child struggling with serious mental illness, what would help?

We need to end the stigma of mental illness and restructure the mental health system.  I think it was very brave of this mother to share her story.

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.ca/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html?m=1

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in General Parenting

• I don't know how we fix it -but we REALLY NEED to- and not just for kids-but adults as well.

The system is a complete mess.

*I hope your question gets more responses than mine did (I posted about the same story)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I am not sure how to fix it but was thinking maybe those who are diagnosed before 18 with mental illnesses to have their rights taken away at 18, so that when a family member can no longer care for them cause they fear for their life the person can be institutionalized and family members are not told they cannot be until they do hurt or kill someone.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• According to this article (it varies in every state) your child has to be convicted of a crime before services are available through the state.  This seems crazy.  If a child has a reactive disorder and has shown signs of a violent temper, the schools should recommend an evaluation for state services.

RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• We can start with a preemptive strike stop saying nothing can be done until they hurt someone. There should be no choice about the meds if you want to stay living on your own you are medicated. There should be a reprieve for the family we only see half the story. There should be care for the mentally ill that does not cost you an arm and a leg or shame your family by being sub standard. This should be run by starting therapists where they earn the right to open their own practice and pay back student loans. Also no one should have to be the first victim before they help them, once its established they should be required to check in everyday with a therapist or third party to keep them safe and the rest as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I'm thinking it may go a little deeper than just blaming in on mental illness though. Sometimes that a blanket diagnosis for underlying issues, such as lack of discipline, etc..... Mental illness has always been around, it's not something that has just sprung up. Don't let the media hype steer you in the wrong direction.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• My sister was diagnosed schizophrenic at age 14. We knew there were issues before that- but she did something(can't remember what) and ended up in Charter (behavioral health hospital) where we found out what was going on with her. She was there for about a month when the insurance ran out for it -and they suddenly decided she was fine to go home.
    She was in and out of hospitals, homes and jail off and on for years and my mother kept trying to get her real help...but after she became an adult it became even harder. She finally got to be a ward of the state in her 30's -which we all thought was better for her and something mom had aimed for for a long time ...but then when things went badly-her meds were messed up and she couldn't get an appointment with her doctor- she did something that landed her on the news, and in jail (again) and THEN she finally got somewhere that is working for her. Sad it took that much
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Some people can not afford health care. Mental illness is part of that. So health care needs be fixed before they can fix the mental illness part.
    The way the rule is, is the person who is crazy has to want to get help.

Answer by louise2 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• You're right M- avi mental illness is not always to blame,and we don't know what caused the murders in Connecticut.  I'm talking in general, it just seems there aren't any good options for parents whose kids have serious mental illness, especially after they turn 18.  

RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Coming from a Christian viewpoint, I'll have to say that mental illness is something people have fought since the beginning of time. Satan desires to attack our minds so he can pull us down to where we'll be no good to anybody else, let alone ourselves.
    A lot of people don't share this same belief, and I can understand that.
    Those of us who are Christian mothers need to pray earnestly for our children, live out Christ in our own homes, allow Him to control our thoughts and minds, and rely on God and His strength to help us daily. One day at a time.
    I believe media plays a big role in what people think about. There is good media, but we all know that there is bad media too.
    Read scripture daily and meditate on it. Here is a good verse for our minds: 2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• That's terrible charlotsomtimes.
    RyansMom001

Comment by RyansMom001 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2012