About angels . . .

As would be expected after such a tragedy, people are using whatever technique they can to understand and rationalize the deaths of the children who were killed on Friday in the safety of their godless public school.

Among those rationalizations is the insistence that those children are now angels, watching over the rest of us.

Something I've always wondered about angels, and how people imagine them to be is this:  When a child dies and is (supposedly) brought to heaven to be an angel, is that child forever the same age, then?  Would a child who died at age 2 or 4 always be 2 or 4 for the rest of eternity?  Are our grandparents spending the rest of eternity as elderly versions of themselves forever and ever?  Or is there some sort of transformation that makes them some timeless version of themselves - or to they quit being "themselves", lose their personalities, the lessons they've learned (or never learn life's lessons because they died too young), and become some formless, ageless, completely wise angelic drones?

How do you imagine angels to be?  If you believe that people who were "good enough" in life become angels for eternity in heaven, do you think they go through any sort of transformation?  Do babies grow up? 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I don't "imagine" them persay, except to acknowledged that based on the rules of the faiths that have them, people never become angels. Angels are non-human and existed before and separate from people (and I'll skip the theories on where they truly originate). It's another one of those things people tell each other to make each other feel better, despite it being totally inaccurate (similar again to telling people horrible people are at peace and in Heaven when they die rather than acknowledge how horrible they were)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Well, I believe angels are their own race, if you will. I don't believe human beings die and convert to an angel. I believe angels are certainly around us. When people die and the living sees them (say in a dream, at night, whatever) they will often come around appearing the age they died (that is how we recognize them). How old we're supposed to be on the other side? Adults but who knows...I haven't a clue.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're just insane. Good job.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• These are questions to which I believe nobody has the answers. They are great mysteries and questions that folks have wondered about all down through the ages.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Uh, you mean species, right?
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Well I was always taught angels are different from us. Angels were created and we were created, we do not turn into angels when we pass. I think after death you really can not go into much details because know one really knows.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Among those rationalizations is the insistence that those children are now angels, watching over the rest of us.
    **********************************************
    UGH!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• No one knows the answer to all your questions, when I die and if I can come back I will tell you all about it but for now no one has been able to do just this....

Answer by older at 5:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I do believe in angels.    As for the souls of the children, I can't say what happened to them.  I hope they are all at peace.  They were innocent beautiful children.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I believe in angels but I don't believe we become angels when we die. I also don't believe angels look like fat little babies as they are often depicted.

Answer by missanc at 6:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2012