Sending my baby away - is it just me?!

First post... not sure if there is a special format!?

Ok. So my husband went to camp all his life and wants to send our son this summer. We found this really nice camp advice group to help us find a good fit and we've narrowed the options down to three summer camps:

http://www.choicecamps.com/overnight-summer-camps/pennsylvania/camp-chen-a-wanda/93/

http://www.choicecamps.com/overnight-summer-camps/new-hampshire/camp-moosilauke/124

Now I never went to camp and wouldn't mind just keeping him at home or in day camp over the summer. I'm nervous about sending him away for 4 weeks or even 2.

Is this just me?! I know he'll have to leave the nest at some point but he's still rather young and I'm concerned.

Am I being one of those crazy overprotective moms?

annmarque

Asked by annmarque at 1:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think so. It's tough for every mom, especially when they're still so young and fragile. Just don't forget that camps can be such great experiences. I went to sports camps every summer, but they were only like one week long. It will be tough, but something your child will remember forever and a chance to make friends. You're not any more overprotective than you should be. You can go and visit him every weekend to make it easier!!! Good luck finding the best camp and it will be great!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• How old is he?
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Oh ookay I just looked at your profile, he's 10. I don't think that's too young at all, but wow 4 weeks is a long time! Lol. I would look for one that is 1-2 weeks.

Also, if he wants to go or not should be your deciding factor. He should not be FORCED to go, but if he wants to, by all means!

I know it's hard to start letting go of our babies :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I loved going to camp we went for a month and it was a blast. I know my mom and dad missed my siblings and I but they knew we would have so much fun. They got to come for a parents weekend half way through and we were excited to see them. When we came home from camp we were exhausted from all the fun. We also came back with a new appreciation for our parents. Let him go he will have a blast.

Anonymous

• I think 4 weeks is too long. My kids go for 12 nights and love it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2009