How much?

I am working on a project with a person I came into contact with on Craigslist. They are writing a children's book to be published and they needed a illustrator. I am a fine artist and and responded to the ad and they are wondering what my price per illustation is. I have no idea what would be a good price, any ideas?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 1:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would take into account the cost of materials and location (studio) as well as any props used for the work. Then take the hourly wage you want, for EXAMPLE ONLY, say 10per hour. Then take how many hours you worked. 4 hours (40$) plus a percentage of the cost. Cost of materials $100 ...say 10% and you have 50$ per drawing. I have no idea what the going rate is, but once I had good numbers that is the type of formula I would use.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Be careful. If they get published you should be getting royalities. They way they are asking you it sounds like they will pay for your illustrations once and you will be done with the project. Get a contract attorney and help him write one up for you.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon. :)
    SusieD250

• Publishers choose their own illustrator after they accept the book for publication. Authors have little to no say in who illustrates their book. When authors submit a book for publication consideration, it shouldn't be illustrated. It should just be text on a page. The publisher chooses the illustrator and the illustrations.
    Anonymous