Have you ever gone through old posts from before points

And looked at the involved, often ugly conversations that went on. Like these?
How do you feel about a mosque being built at ground zero?

Do you think WIC should only provide formula to mothers if they have a medical reason they can't breast-feed?

Is anyone else afraid for this country if something were to happen to Mccain and Sarah Palin were to be the President?

Would you wash your child's mouth out with soap or put hot sauce on their tongue if they said something bad?

And when you look at those conversations, occasionally ugly, but often debate by people with well reasoned arguments, how is it we've now come to the point where people scream that they're being picked on if anyone so much as disagrees with them in a question?  If they aren't coddled no matter how nasty they are to others, it's cabals and cliques and teams and packs and minions and whatever else out to get them?

What changed?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in About CafeMom

• I remmber all of these and they were heated.
    I do not know what has changed. I wish whatever it is would change back though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I remember the conversations also. Are there more groups now where people can put forth controversial questions?

Answer by Bmat at 11:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• I remember those! ahhh the good ol days...hehe

I don't know- I mean there was some of that then too- but we don't get nearly the discussions now that we had then- that's for sure
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Are there more groups now where people can put forth controversial questions?

Yes, but they still come with all the same baggage groups have always had. There are some who have been exiled to groups since they had their answers access taken away, but I can't believe only the worst of the worst are what kept debate going.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• wow...i didnt have to click on any of those to remember them...

i think it was the hiding away of answers & the entrance of the DV button. very few new moms and some ppl were afraid to be DV and lose points.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Do you think it is because we no longer have the down vote?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

No, I think the change started when they originally put it in. That's when a lot of people in those questions left originally.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Awww, look at all of the anons. LOL.

IDK what has changed.  Many of the people that were here then have left.  I don't know much about how the newer members come to their reasoning.  It's changed by not being so much debate as it is "bullshit, you are stupid and I am right.  Nothing you say will change my mind".  I learned a lot from the members back when there was more debate and slightly changed my stance on certain issues through discussion and debate.  That hasn't happened in a while.  It's just too slow here and a lot of people say they don't like to debate.  This is why I look for other outlets for that.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Oh, and I have gone through some old questions mainly when looking back at what member's predictions were about things. Like what the unemployment rate would be, what impact the stimulus would have on the economy, the cost and additional taxation that would result from Obamacare, etc.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• It maybe that the tension level has increased generally due to unemployment and increasing costs.
    The tone has changed. I have learned a lot in answers and debate but as Quinn said not so much recently as it seems to be more of a who can outshout the other.
    There used to be some intellegence and I hope it surfaces again soon.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2012