Can I use a photo and ad from a major retailer?

On a sign I am wanting to print up for a business? I would using a photo as an example of what that retailer sells the product for. Can I do that legally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Money & Work

• No, not for commercial use, only for parody or criticism (artistic/journalistic/academic criticism).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• don't think so
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• If you take a picture of the ad, possibly. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Not without their written permission.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• Not for the purpose you intend, no. And even taking a photo of it and using the photo would still likely be considered copyright infringement. It's the same as you taking a photo of my photo and using it - I took the original photo, and you're benefiting from it. Just because you snapped the photo of my photo doesn't make it yours.

You CAN contact the retailer and see about getting permission to use it. Or reproduce it with differences. You say you want to use it as an example of how the product is used. You could purchase/rent/borrow the product, get a model, and take your own photo to create the example photo.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2012