Do or did your children believe in Santa?

If they know the truth now, were they mad at you for lying to them? Or did they just play along? DS still talks like he believes (he's almost 10), but DD sounds like she has bought it for another year. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the fallout of the lie. LOL.

FTR, I don't know that I ever really believed in Santa. I used to stay up late and watch my mom's shadow cross the light path under my door. I knew it was her.

DS started questioning a little about a month ago and all I said is "if you don't believe, you don't receive".  He's got to know, right?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2012 in Holidays

• I don't believe in lying to them for about 10 years or so and then having to confirm the truth and then they don't know if they can EVER trust you again.

Sorry, I don't buy that. I believed in Santa as a child and never had a problem trusting my parents when I found out the truth. I don't have a problem letting my son believe.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• My sons did believe in Santa. When they realized there was no Santa, my youngest said to me, Mom, you were a GREAT Santa! LOL
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• DD is almost 7 and still very much believes in Santa. I hope it continues for at least the next couple of years. When she does realize that there isn't a fat man in red who enters our house on Christmas Eve delivering her gifts, I won't try to convince her she's wrong, but I will explain to her WHY we told her about Santa.

As for your kids not trusting you once they found out you "lied" to them...I don't know anyone who has trust issues with their parents because they once believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, etc.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• My kids are teens and we still do Santa gifts! It's fun *always 1 or 2 things -unwrapped with fancier bows

when they asked if he was real I told them of course he is, just not in the way they thought before- that every time we help someone, or give a gift, or show kindness- that we ARE Santa. That the spirit of Santa lives in all of us. I did this with both kids-and they both took it very well.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• My kids are 19, almost 18 and 7. The older two no longer believe, but really enjoy all that is Christmas and Santa with their young sister.

I heard a beautiful way that one family handled their children's realization that Santa was played by Mom & Dad. As each child discovered the "truth" the parents sat them down and explained that it was the child's turn to play Santa. They would take them to the Post Office at 34th St in NYC where letters to the North Pole end up. The child chose a letter and then shopped, wrapped and sent off the gift (parents paid for it). Then the family would also choose someone to bless. I love this because it truly incorporates the spirit of Christmas and allowed the child to take disappointment and empower them to make someone else happy.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 12:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• St Nick was a real man. He gave to others, and I tell me kids his story, along with how his helpers (me, the elves, the santas we see at the mall) help him out. They know its me, but they love to believe. As do I.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• its make believe and I promote using the imagination so yes mine believe. Heck my 23 year old wants to believe! I will explain when the time comes just as I did to her that pretend play and make belive are okay and that we played make believe to keep the magic of Santa alive as long as we could.

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• We did Santa growing up and I had no problems with trusting my parents when I found out. I actually thought it was pretty selfless of them to have been giving me all this great stuff and letting some fake guy get all the credit!
    My kids also had no problems when they found out and my 11 and 12 yo's love helping me recreate that experience for my 2 and 4 yo's.

Answer by missanc at 12:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Chrlottesmom that is exactly what Santa is.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• We've never done the Santa thing. I don't really have anything against it, but it just seems silly to me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2012