Please describe (accurately) an assault rifle.

I don't mean only listing what parts and modifications are required to make it one, but what those parts and modifications DO.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Ummm, may I ask why? CM member go to far?? LOL joking....But seriously why?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• But seriously why?

Because for 3 days I've been seeing people use the phrase "assault rifle" or "assault weapon" in their argument for why guns should be banned, but every time I ask them what an assault weapon is, they either don't know, or give a wholly false definition.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons. Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Seriously simplified version?

Any gun that is capable of, whether by original manufacturing or upgrades, shooting many rounds in a short period of time. Or, it could just be a gun that is easier to be stealthy with, like with a suppressor.

Ish.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• It is not to be confused with assault weapons. 

bingo

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• vs... An assault weapon is any of various automatic and semiautomatic firearms using an intermediate cartridge. In the United States, there is a variety of statutory definitions of assault weapons in local, state, and federal laws that define them by a set of characteristics they possess. Using lists of physical features or specific firearms in defining assault weapons in the U.S. was first codified by the language of the now-expired 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. sometimes described as military-style features useful in combat. A common usage is to interchange the term with assault rifle, but unlike that term, "assault weapon" has no consistent or specific definition and so is subject to varying definitions for varying purposes, including definitions that include common non-military-style firearms.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Ah, crap. Not until I read crafty's answer did I realize I sorta skimmed your question and was giving my take on assault weapons, and not specifically rifles. Oh well.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• bingo

Yeah... I knew you'd like that part!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Question is over, lol

Good job Crafty!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Yeah... I knew you'd like that part!

Sad thing is you can't totally blame the people talking about it here and on fb- the media can't even keep it straight. They use it interchangeably.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Dec. 17, 2012