For Mama's that carried Twins

In your first trimester were you quite sick with morning sickness or were you feeling well, just tired? My sister had an appointment today with a midwife, she has her scan 2nd Jan, she is about 10 weeks and showing already, which I know is quite normal in a second pregnancy, we do have twins in our line, the midwife said I doubt it is twins because you would be feeling really ill, I just thought that was an odd thing to say, I had never heard of that before.........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I had twins and had absolutely NO pregnancy symptoms whatsoever. You're right, it was a strange thing to say. And it's nonsense :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:08 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I had twins and I never felt sick, I was just really tired.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Thanks Ladies, I thought it was a strange thing for her to say.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Women carrying twins are more likely to have morning sickness. Not all women carrying twins get morning sickness, but they are more likely to get it.

Answer by missanc at 6:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• One of the things they think might cause morning sickness is a reaction to hcg. Higher levels might mean higher hcg in women who get affected by morning sickness. Since women who are pregnant with twins have higher levels of hcg, they have a tendency to have really bad morning sickness

But as not all women suffer morning sickness--with or with out twins--this isn't always the case.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Right, she has blood tests this week.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I had twins and my morning sickness (which was bad with my singleton) was intense & extreme with my twins. It did not cause me to wonder if I was carrying twins (didn't find out until we saw them on an ultrasound to date the pregnancy, at about 14 weeks) but my doctor was like, "Well, that explains it!"
    Yes, it's the idea that higher hormone levels trigger more intense nausea.
    With me it was to the point of severe hyperemesis. I was pretty routinely getting dehydrated (had gone to the ER for fluids when the vomiting would turn into this vicious cycle, and it happened 3 times before we found out I was carrying twins.)
    It is pretty common to have some intense nausea & sickness when pregnant with twins but it is not something that happens to everybody.
    I guess not having felt nauseated would be reason to "doubt" twins (if someone is purely guessing by "signals") but obviously not an official way to rule out a twin pregnancy.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2012