What extra precautions are your schools taking this week?

it's the last week of school in this county, and while i was so hesitant and still having anxiety about sending my kindergartner to school today, i feel slightly better after receiving the automated phone call last night from the district that they have added officers in every school in the county this week. they'll figure out what to do for the new year over the holiday break.

is anyone else having anxiety about sending off their kids today, regardless of the extra precautions? im so glad its the last week, and that she gets out an hour early today. i hugged her and kissed her this morning and told her to be careful, which is something i havent ever told her before school.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• None that i know of
    All we got was a form letter about the usual precautions the schools have

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• That I know of, our school will not be doing anything more now than they did before. They have the system with the camera and a door buzzer so no one can just walk in...although they don't have rules (or at least don't stick by them...or at least haven't been) of no piggy-backing or that the person must be recognized or else questioned before being let in.

I just posted on FB that if DD didn't already have 5 unexcused absences because of our Disney World vacation, I would keep her out of school today and tomorrow and only take her in on Wednesday for the Christmas party and then keep her out until the first full week of school in January.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• We got an email from the school CEO (private school) informing us that there will be heightened security measures put into place, but he did not state what those would be. One already has to buzz into school on any given day. Perhaps they will now put a gate on the fence that delineates the school property. the one good thing is that the security team is headed by an Israeli.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• It was hard sending my kids to school this morning. We received an email last night saying there will be more police officers around. I'm still uneasy but trying not to give into my fears.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Nothing that I know of. The principal never addressed it, period.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• None that i know of

same as butterlfy
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• We have a active police presence at our schools anyways, our schools are having assemblies this morning and our officers will be talking to the kids along with a counselor ( who is my neighbor, I found out about the plans earlier then other parents). They will also be answering questions and they have clergy waiting for children who want to talk & parents.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Our school is doing the same thing they've always done, and that's to keep the doors locked, and you have to use a buzzer to get in. Our Principal hasn't said anything about it, but we have an awards ceremony Wednesday morning, so I'm thinking she'll say something then.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• there hasnt been anything said, not even on the school district's website. im not really expecting any huge changes since the buildings pretty secure anyway.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• just dropped off daughter

the door that stays open for 5-10 minutes for late parents with kids- was locked as soon as teachers took their class in
    yeah!!

and a police car on the corner where i park (hope another at other corner), and a 2nd police car circling block
    yeah!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2012