Throat Dry & Scratchy

Yesterday my throat felt really dry and scratchy and it has carried on into today. Feel the need to cough only because the throat is irritated.

Is this a cold thing or an allergy thing? Not sure if I should be taking Tylenol Cold or Zyrtec for relief...

Normally I'd just try one and if it didn't work after a day or two, try the other...but DD's school's Christmas party is Wednesday and I'm one of the parents helping and I sure don't want this to be horrendously horrible by then, so I don't have the time for trial and error.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Health

• I'd take both! Hot tea with lots of honey (local, if you can get it) and chicken soup (homemade is best) will help too, whichever it is.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Take a teaspoon of local honey & mix it with a tsp of cinnamon and take it. I swear it will help tremendously
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I used to get something similar with no other symptoms. I would use Thayer's slippery elm throat lozenges. They taste horrible but help with the dry feeling.  You can find them in any healthy living section of grocery stores.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Don't take meds yet until you are sure. Gargle with warm salt water, or use a netipot, to clear out the area.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2012