Smarter than I give him credit for....

My 10 year old boy was asking me questions about the latest school shooting. He was first asking about the kids that were killed and told me how sad he was. Then he started talking about the guns. He asked me with all these shootings are the gun laws going to be changed. I told him more than likely, yes. He said, exact words, "mom these crazy people are already breaking the laws so what would breaking one more law matter"? I told him exactly, the only thing it will effect is honest people using them for protection.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Today is a sad day in America where every Mom is filled with emotions about sending their child to school. These type of conversations should never have to take place again.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• My 6 yr old is home today. But, not due to the shootings. She's had a fever since sat morning.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I sat down with our boys, and had a talk with them. I didn't want to scare them from going to school, but I wanted to go back over what they do at school if something happens, and that I will always be there for them, no matter what.

As for the gun issue, they didn't say anything about them. Our boys have been around them, and know that it's not the gun that kills people, it's the person with the gun. They also understand that mental issues played a big part in the shooting on Friday. They also know, that there are some things we can't control, and we can't live in fear. I think the main thing we need to remind our children of, is the love, and security that we will always provide, no matter what.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• You have an amazing 10 year old.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• He is wise, bless his heart, if only adults were this wise.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Thank goodness my little one is only 4 and the school she goes too does not discuss it and the bigger kids are not around the little ones at all.
    I can't begin to imagine having to talk about it to her.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Mine have been raised around guns and know that guns kill. That when you shoot something it doesn't get back up. They (4 & 5) asked why someone would want to go hunting for little boys & girls to eat. (In their minds they took what we said about if you're willing to kill something you'd better be willing to eat it to heart!) Needless to say we had to straighten them out as to what had happened.

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2012