Gun Control Laws: After Sandy Hook, Poll Finds Bump In Support For Greater Restrictions

Immediately following the devastating school shooting Friday in Newtown, Conn., a new poll suggests a bump in support for stricter gun laws, with half of Americans saying they support making the nation's gun laws stricter.

The new HuffPost/YouGov survey found that 50 percent of Americans say gun laws should be made more strict than they are now, compared to 43 percent who said that they should remain the same (29 percent) or be made less strict (14 percent). The poll also found support for banning semi-automatic weapons (51 percent to 33 percent) as well as magazine clips holding more than 10 rounds (54 percent to 32 percent).

The main weapon used by shooter was a semiautomatic assault rifle, and he carried several high capacity magazines, though that information had not been released while the poll was being fielded. On Saturday White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters that reinstating the federal assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 "does remain a commitment" of President Barack Obama. On Sunday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) announced that she would be introducing a new assault weapons ban bill on the first day of the new Congress.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/gun-control-laws-sandy-hook-poll_n_2309324.html

Are you happy to see this? I am, but I don't like guns and don't have one so changing gun laws will not affect me at all. I do think there needs to more done than just changing gun laws, but I don't see how any harm will be done by changing them.

Hollyhock.

Asked by Hollyhock. at 10:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Huffpo readers wouldn't require a tragedy to be more in favor of gun restrictions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• THE GUN WAS STOLEN! Why are people ignoring this fact? How will tightening gun control stop criminals from doing whatever the fuck they want?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Yes but, should've the mother been able to possess a gun like that when she clearly had an unstable child living with her? ^^^
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Well if noboday has access to certain things then they can't be stolen.

Anon, what? Lol I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
    Hollyhock.

Comment by Hollyhock. (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

LOL! So the plan is to wipe guns completely from the earth? Cause that's about the only way people "won't have access" to them
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• No not all guns. I don't really know what semi automatic weapons are, but I think banning magazine clips that hold more than 10 rounds sounds pretty good.
    Hollyhock.

Comment by Hollyhock. (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Because those are the only weapons that can be used in mass shootings right?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

This here is a slippery slope. Should people give up their second amendment rights if they have a person with mental illness living with them? Does it depend on the illness, the severity of it, the treatment plan in place?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I didn't say that either. Stop being so condescending. I just think that less people would be killed that way. Anything that gives these people a better chance of surviving things like this is worth it to me.

Hollyhock.

Comment by Hollyhock. (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I refuse to discuss gun control until we begin discussions regarding mental health issues in this country. The young man apparently had some sort of mental illness. Idk if his mother sought help for him or not, but having guns in the house was a mistake, that much I'll admit.

However... if that mentally unstable young man had really wanted to do something terrible, and didn't have access to guns, he likely could have just built a few bombs and set them off in or around the school. Now tell me, how will gun control prevent someone from looking up how to make a bomb on the internet, and then methodically planning his big show?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2012