Can ya'll help me with my Christmas Eve dinner menu.....

I'm cooking a whole raw ham that I plan on injecting with a Cajun praline honey marinade. This is my first time cooking a ham so I'm a little nervous.

What goes good with ham? I need at least one appetizer, 2 or 3 veggies and other things that go good with ham. I don't think I've ever had ham for a holiday meal before.

What do ya'll think. And what are you cooking for Christmas Eve or day?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Mashed potatoes, green beans, asparagus, rolls. Done. Veggies and dip are always a good appetizer with anything. Also cheese and crackers.

We don't do ham on Christmas Eve. That's fish night. Crab cakes, linguine with clam sauce, lobster tails if I can get them, shrimp cocktail for an appetizer.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I'm doing as little cooking as possible. Thinking tamales for Christmas eve and not sure about Christmas day. We usually do a rib roast, but there are only 4 of us so that's more trouble than I think I am willing to go to. IDK, maybe Chinese like in Christmas Story.

Appetizers w/ ham? I'm guessing anything you would serve at Easter (assuming you make ham then). Deviled eggs, maybe bacon wrapped jalapenos? Veggie tray with dip. How about endive w/ blue cheese, chopped wasabi almonds and balsamic reduction? That's really good.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• You gotta have some cheesy potatoes to go with the ham. Yum :p  My husb. just made some TX caviar over the weekend & it was delicious. (good munchy stuff- w/ Tostitos scoops chips)

I don't have to cook on Christmas Eve. (we go to my mom's) or on Christmas (we go to my dad's) Woohoo :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I know a lot of people do ham for Easter. We always have a crawfish boil. I love love love the endive and blue cheese idea. Do you have an exact recipe, Quinn?
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Sweet Potato Casserole
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Belgium endive, good quality blue cheese crumbled and I think Planters makes the wasabi almonds. Just crush the almonds or chop them into smaller pieces. Then take balsamic vinegar and sugar (one part to one part) and warm it up *don't boil* until it's thick but still fluid. If you need to, use just a little more vinegar than sugar and add a little sugar as you go to make the consistency right.

Meantime, clean and dry endive leaves. spoon some blue cheese into each, then sprinkle some of the wasabi almonds on top. Once reduction is at the right consistency, drizzle over each leaf and serve.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Mrsmom....Tx caviar is the bomb! I love it. Nobody here but me and my 5 yr old eats black eyed peas. I may do that for new years for us since it will just be the two of us.

I like the cheesy potato idea. I'm not having turkey so therefore gravy is out and you can't really serve mashed taters in the south without gravy...lol! So a cheesy loaded tater casserole would work.

Awesome ideas. Thanks.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Hashbrown casserole, it makes a lot, and goes great with ham. Homemade mac n cheese, cole slaw, corn chowder, broccoli rice casserole, sweet potatoes, seven layer salad, cranberry salad, the list goes on, and on....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• It will look something like this but with chopped almonds and a drizzle of reduction.

Blue Cheese Endive Spears @Wendy {@laphemmephoodie}

You can make it a really pretty presentation something like this:

Mmmmm.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Quinn, I love you! That is so pretty. I'm going to plan a trip into the city to get the endive....that just screams festive!

I like the homemade Mac and cheese idea too. My dd just started liking it not long ago. I know everyone would lke that.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Dec. 17, 2012