Chinese to buy bargain US homes - - - - wth?

The Chinese are coming, to buy bargain US homes
Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:35 AM EST
The Associated Press
By CHI-CHI ZHANG Associated Press Writer

BEIJING (AP) — Beijing lawyer Ying Guohua is heading to the United States on a shopping trip, looking not for designer clothes or jewelry, but for a $1 million home in New York City or Los Angeles. He expects to get a bargain. Ying is part of a growing number of Chinese who are joining tours organized especially for investors who want to take advantage of slumping U.S. real estate prices amid a financial crisis. "It's a great time to buy because of the financial crisis, and houses in large cities like New York and Los Angeles will definitely go up in a few years," Ying said. The home is an investment, but he's also planning long-term: He hopes his 5-year-old son might use it if he goes to college in the United States.

How is THIS right? We allow (continued) -

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• UHmmm.....Helllo, anyone out there? Did we not tell everyone we would be owned by the Chinese? Trump is even selling some of his real estate to Chinese rich men. And we all thought we would have to learn Spanish..........damn.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• (continued) - 1.8 million foreign workers take our jobs and now the Chinese are buying up our homes. Anyone else see how insane this is?
    Anonymous

• Yep its right. Just because our system is failing doesnt mean people from other countries cant invest. In a few years we will all be speaking chinese anyway when they call their markers thanks to the stimulus.
    Anonymous

• I don't see a problem with it. If I had money to buy up a bunch of homes I would, keep them for a few years and when the economy bounces back sell them for a profit. America does a lot of business with China, and if investors are coming her legally and have the money, why shuldn't they be allowed to buy a home here?
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 1:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Boiling Frog Theory anyone?????
    akinbottom2

• EXACTLY akin....slow and sneaky. This is el toro ca ca...or wait how do you say that in chinese?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• An important thing for us to learn because in the next 10 years you will need it
    你要不要油炸物与那?
    It means "Would you like fries with that?"
    Anonymous

• Why wouldn't they? We will be buying shortly. There are homes available that regularly go for over 100000 that are $15,000. We plan to buy before the end of the year.

The Chinese are where we were 50 years ago. We should try and get back there.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I refuse to bind my feet. I have too many great shoes in a size 8. I don't care how sexy it looks, I'll be known as bigfoot. thankyou very much.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• At least they still have confidence in our economy long term. That's encouraging.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 1:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2009