Were you near the shooting in CT? How much do your children know/understand?

We are in the South and haven't had the news on at all. I don't think that I am going to say anything to him but will answer any questions he may have after school today.

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 1:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We are quite a ways from CT. though we have a few friends there and know many elementary school teachers. 12 YO DGS is aware of what happened. He asked why the woman did not have her guns locked in a gun safe. He sad it is readlly sad that those kids died and he did not know what he would do if it had been his baby sister (17 months old). His hands balled into fists.
    BTW he shoots very well and knows how to care for a gun/rifle an to treat it with respect and safely. When we are at the farm the rifle is loaded and on pegs above the door. Otherwise they are in a gun safe in a locked room.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I'm in Utah and I will not tell my 5 yr old what happen. She doesnt need to know and be scared to go to school
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I am about a 1/2 hour away from Sandy Hook/Newtown my DH & I gave my 7yo a brief synopsis on what happened last Friday and answered questions that he had.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Classify near? My son was afraid to go to school this morning. We had discussed things like this with our older child, but never thought to have any kind of conversation with my son. He has a mild case of asperger's syndrome, and we couldn't even leave for Christmas shopping this weekend without him having a fit.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Doodle I'm sure today was a hard one for millions of parents sending kids off to school. Or not.
    ((hugs)) to you and your babies. Hold em tight as often as you can.

My kids balked hard into going back to class after Columbine. We talked about being safe a lot. I wanted them to go and not be frightened. All said and done - mistake. Dd freaked out at the extra police presence on school grounds and left to come home right after I had walked her to the front door. The cops - I still can't believe this- hand cuffed her and brought her back to school. The admin gave her a 5 day suspension for skipping.
    In 2002, we went through this much closer to home. My kids attended the school that the Beltway Sniper shot a child on the school front steps. Absolute nightmare.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 4:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I am not anywhere near CT. My little 5 yr. old saw us watching the news on Friday, but he was unaware of exactly what was going on. We homeschool, which I am so grateful for. But, I realize he is not exempt from danger. We are all in God's hands.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• No. And I do not intend to say anything. Have not said anything. It would be selfish.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Luckily my daughter went on school vacation the next day
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 6:18 AM on Dec. 23, 2012

• I'm in CT. The teacher talked about it with my DD's 5th grade class. :*(
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 3:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2012