Spelling test.

I'm getting very upset with my dds teacher. The last five spelling test she will add 3 to 5 spelling words to the test. My dd struggles with spelling so she has to study very hard. She usally still gets one or two wrong so when these extra 3 to 5 spelling words that are thrown in last minute she gets them wrong. She has come home crying a few times because it does embarress her. What should I do? do you think it's fair that she gives them extra words that are not on the spelling sheet then marks them against them?

She's now getting 70 percents compared to 90s when the teacher didn't add extra words last minute.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 4:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is more to spelling test than memorizing the order of the letters. They are trying to help her be a good speller by teaching her the rules of spelling and then asking her to show that she has grasped the concept. If you feel she is struggling then you need to have a one on one with the teacher to figure out why she is struggling and figure out the best way to help her succeed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Are the extra words new or are they from previous tests.
    If they are new I would definitely talkto the teacher over this face to face and if you do not get satidfactory answers I would ask for a consultaion with th principal and the teacher.

It is unfair to test on something that has not yet been taught.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Are the added words using the same 'spelling rules' as some of the other words? It may be a quiz on looking at words we know to figure out how to spell words we don't know. Either way I would contact the teacher to get clarification.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• The extra words aren't bonus words? That's what all of my children's teachers have done over the years. You have a set list to study from & then 3 bonus words at the end that will not count against you, but will be beneficial to you if you get them right. Actually making it possible to get 103%. I would be talking to your child's teacher about this practice. I hope you are able to get her to change this. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Oh I get it. lol. My son can not spell to save his life! He has some special needs and just can't seem to 'get it' the child spelled 'my'
    m-i-y a couple weeks ago ( and he is EIGHT)- They are testing him for visual processing disorders (on top of his Asperger's) to see if that could be the cause. It can be frustrating for everyone involved!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Also a thing to not forget is that she is learning to study in general so how you deal and she deals with this situation will be the corner stone for the rest of her school life. Keep reminding her she is awesome no matter what and in real life we have spell check lol
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• No I dont think thats fair. She shouldnt be graded for something she cant study for. I would ask for a class syllabus, and call a meeting with the teacher and possably the princaple.
    PolishMamma2

Answer by PolishMamma2 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Encourage her that she can do it when she starts crying. Make flash-cards. Make it into a game in the car, spelling pop-quiz kind of thing. Even if it is hard for her, remind her that learning is fun.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• No she has bonus words which are on her spelling sheet they are called wow words. Right now they are states. The wow words get marked against you and so do these last minute added words.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Sometimes they are older sometimes they are new. But her spelling is bad even if they are old if she doesn't practice she has a hard time remembering how to spell them.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2012