How did you/are you processing the CT tragedy? Has it changed anything for you? Have you any new perspective? Did you tell your kids anything?

I'm just wondering how everyone has been processing it. The reaction was immediate for me but delayed for my husband. We tiptoed around the conversation with our kids to see what they've heard. We briefly touched on it on Sunday.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 4:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• It touched too close to home. My son Kyle is 7 years old. Those babies killed were 6 and 7 years old. I have tried to not let my mind in that spot, but 20 mothers just lost babies just like my Kyle. I can't watch their faces on the news. To me, they are all just like him. I was wrapping Christmas gifts today, and I just started crying, thinking of the families, thinking of all the gifts under trees. How do these parents come home and look at them? How can you go on after something so tragic? I am trying to go on about my day as normal, but I honestly cannot wait to go pick my kids up from school. I want to get through this week because I want them home on winter break.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Overwhelming sadness.
    Anonymous

• Besides the fact that I cannot stop thinking about it, continue to feel saddened, and a bit of extra paranoia about things like the man riding a bike past my son's school with a large backpack, nothing has "changed". My son is only 4 and I have not explained anything. Where do you even start to explain something like that?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• It's very sad and it's hard for me to process what happened or to really think about it at all. It hasn't changed anything because it's out of my hands.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I am processing it by not dwelling on it. Wrapping my son in bubble wrap would cause him nothing but harm, whether I did that literally or figuratively. We talked about it, he asked a few questions, if any more come to him as he's exposed to snippets on the news or at school, I will continue to answer them, calmly and rationally.

The grief those families are experiencing is unique to them. I will not insult them by suggesting that I am going through anything remotely similar to their own pain and anxiety, when the truth is my son is exactly as safe as he was on Thursday, and what happened Friday has not changed that.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• My answer is the same as for all the other similar questions.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I'm ready for the world to end on 12/21. Fingers crossed! lol
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

Ahh what?! Lol don't cross your fingers for that!

I'm still feel very sad about what happened. I'm glad dd is too young and I don't have to try to figure out how to explain things or what to tell her and what not to.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• It is a sad time for our country. It was hard to process that innocent children were killed. It is hard to process that most Moms had a unsettling feeling today as they sent their children to school. So now we watch as 20 Moms bury their children. Has anything changed? Yes the safety of our children in school.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 5:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• My kids are adult so I really do not need to tell them. But they need to deal with their kids on this matter. Every time I watch tv and see this on tv I thing of those little 6 year old being shot and their teachers defending them. I really feel for that one lonely child who survived too. She will need theropy I would think. It all just tears me up. I have grandkids that age.

Answer by louise2 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2012