History lesson.

The first time you or I confront terrorism - foreign or domestic - we become the first line of defense, and it's too late to call in anyone else. An armed law-abiding citizen is first line of defense for your own family and your country !

The politicians will tell us they want to protect us from firearms crime, by eliminating private ownership of firearms. This is the biggest lie of them all.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, 1 million "educated" people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century with the help of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns! While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our president, governors or other politicians disseminating this information. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late! The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With firearms, we are "citizens". Without them, we are "subjects".

Still think gun control is a great idea?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm afraid this is falling on deaf ears Jackie.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Yes I do still think gun control is a good idea. I'm fine with people owning guns for hunting, or a small hand-gun for "safety." Its when normal 'citizens' start buying up high powered machine guns or semi-automatics and SHIT loads of ammo that I have a serious problem...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Fear is powerful enough to make people ignore the truth.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Still think gun control is a great idea?

Yes I do. I respect you opinion so please respect mine.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 5:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I don't think you should turn in all your guns, I won't be turning in mine, I think hand guns (even the semi auto hand guns), shotguns, and rifles are fine and very important. But please please tell me what an automatic assault rifle (those are the ones used in the theater and school shootings of late) have any business just lying around so that a bad guy does get them?

There is compromise to be made on this topic. When we say, all or nothing on either side, we allow terrible things to happen.

OenophiliaMama

Answer by OenophiliaMama at 5:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Guns should have never even been invented to begin with...ugh
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• automatic assault rifle (those are the ones used in the theater and school shootings of late)

This is not true, which takes me back to my ongoing question of people screaming for changes to laws about things they don't understand.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• This is a great post. I hate the reason we are having to even discuss this as my heart goes out to those in CT. But I agree with you, Jackie!

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• People don't want to believe that bad things are not going to happen to them or happen to this country. They are apathetic and deny what is right in front of their face. There were Germans who denied that their country was killing Jews, until the Americans came in and walked them by the concentration camps forcing them to face what their government has done. There are some people on this site, that it would not surprise me at all would deny if our government started lining people up and exterminated them. There are already so many who deny what is right in front of their face, which is really frightening.  There have been people who have tried to warn us of the paths that we as America have chosen who have been there and have done that, such as Ayn Rand.  But we refuse to see and believe it will never happen to us.  We are doomed to repeat history.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2012