Another war question...anyone in the military come read and answer please?

Okay,On the subject of withdrawing the troops from iraq...Is it a good idea? Do the soldieers fighting over there want to be withdrawn and brought home? I am not military at all, but a lot of the people i know are die hard military. Wouldn't some of the soldiers be mad they are being withdrawn from a battle that they havn't won?If they are withdrawn will that look weak on the U.S. Like we just gave up. Will that make us more vulneradble for future attacks thinking they can get away with it. Or are we just over there fighting a battle we can't win? Military mom, what would your significant other say? This is in no way a slam against obamas withdrawal plan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I come from a military family and I can only speak from my exp and what I have heard. My dad and his friends arent very happy with being withdrawn before they can finish the job they were sent to do. Most dont like Obama either and didnt vote for him.
    Anonymous

• i wont be mad unless we come under another attack. from my understanding they're sending us to another country so we will still be gone all the time. i have my own opinions but so scared of violating OPSEC i wont say. lol. but i have been in army 6 1/2 years.
    Anonymous

• My DH did two tours. He's noticed HUGE strides in their efforts...he's lost friends, and a couple of family members to the war, but in no way does he think their lives were in vain. He absolutely saw and still sees a purpose for us being there, and it's something that so many who complain about the war can't understand or appreciate because they've never experienced it.

It's easy to complain about Bush and the Iraq War...but love him or hate him, the reality is he's kept our country safe for the last 7 years.

Bush and the Iraqi PM set up a timeline for withdrawl. Obama had NOTHING to do with it, until the plan was set, and then he started promising people to bring them home sooner. Bush and the PM have a responsible schedule in place that allows plenty of time for preparation and separation. Obama's just trying to push it in an effort to appease anti-war groups and constituents.
    Anonymous

• and WE like Obama!!
    Anonymous

• Not only that...but I think many of you fail to realize that when we've left other countries after a war, we've maintained a presence there for YEARS.

Japan, Germany, Korea, and Saudi Arabia, just to name a few...what's happening in Iraq is totally new and frankly, rather dangerous to think about.

And again...our troops aren't coming home. Obama's promised to deploy more troops to Afghanistan. We need to stop buying into this empty promise of his, because those words are just that--words with no meaning and no truth.
    Anonymous

• Is Obama really bringing the troops home, or just deploying them to Afghanistan or elsewhere?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't think our troops are coming home any time soon. I have family in the military and the way they look at is if we come home before the job is finished we will end up going back there within a year.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Obama was saying he was going to bring the troops home, but I don't think he ever said a time frame until the Iraqi governement voted on it (their decision was that we could remain there until 2011 btw). I don't know if its a good idea to pull them out or not, my husband is military, I've had military as family, however none of them have gone to Iraq yet. I think they've made strides, I don't think Iraq will ever be a clear cut "win" and I don't think it will ever be a peaceful place . . .but all of that stems from things that have been going on for a while now.

Oh, and Obama's sending them to Afganistan for the person who asked.
    Anonymous

• I think the soldiers want to finish the job they started,but,sure,they want to be home with family. If they come home now then alot of soldiers lost their lives for nothing. We need to finish what we started.

As for NOBAMA, anyone military knows that when he said he will bring the troops home and out of Iraq,he left something out. He's sending more to Afghanistan. Broken promises....
    Anonymous