Party invite etiquette.

DD is having her party at a pizza buffet. We are paying for the invited kids food and some tokens. It says on the invite that the child's buffet is free. I want to make it clear by putting an insert into the invite. I have it worded as this.

Parents and siblings are welcome to stay and enjoy cake!!
If you wish to purchase a buffet lunch, prices are as follows:
• Adults 5.99
• Children (10 and under) 3.99
• Under 3 Free!
• Drinks additional

1) How tacky is this
2) is it worded okay.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Just for Fun

• It looks just fine to me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I would make it perfectly clear you are only paying for the one child you invited. Every one else who comes with that child has to pay their own way. How you have it doesn't really say that, completely. At least to me.

Answer by louise2 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I think you should do what is right for you financially. But, it may prevent some children from coming. I personally think it's wrong to bring siblings who are Not invited besides babies. I had a party for my Son recently & one Mom asked if she could bring her Sons brother so I said yes. It cost me an extra $14 for the child & another $4 for the treat bag. The Mom only gave a $10 gift. It should have been doubled. I provided food for the adults as well. Can't you just provide Pizzas & soda for the extra guests (Parents & siblings)?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• If I had to pay for adults and siblings we would not be having a party at all. Being in a apt we can't do an at home cheapy party. I can afford to pay for 10-12 lunch/token packages and we invited 15 kids with the expectation that several would not rsvp/show up. I know of at least 2 kids that are coming already.

But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• "The Mom only gave a $10 gift. It should have been doubled."

Ilovemypaulie, since when is a kid's birthday gift about who bought what and how much it was? You should have told the mom that yes she can bring the brother but she would need to pay for the extra charge of another child. 

Sorry, OP. Didn't mean to derail your post. Anyways, I think it sounds good. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• This post is about etiquette. Maybe someone else will learn what is correct etiquette.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Oh hell, Maybe will just not do it and have her invite one friend to the movies. God knows I don't want to offend anyone.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• And whose to say that she didn't give what she could afford?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

So to get it back on track. I wouldn't leave the gray area of extra kids. Instead just say something like this: "The birthday party package is pre-paid for the individual children invited to the party. For any parents who would like to use the buffet, it's $5.99 plus drink." Then you're both making it clear that you are not paying for any combination of extra people they bring with. Most parents understand that already, the rude ones who expect you to pay for them and/or their other kids would be rude whether you spelled it out or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I think NP's solution is dead on target.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2012