She won't eat!

My 5 1/2 month old is teething and they are bothering her so much that at times she won't nurse, which leaves me engorged. She won't eat her cereal nor her baby foods. Every now and then she'll drink a little water but not always I need help. What do I do? My first daughter was not like this!

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 1:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Frozen teething rings and wash cloths can actually do more harm than good. They're too hard and can injure babies gums. If you are freezing stuff, make sure you defrost it a little before giving it to baby so it is mushy ice and not solid ice. Is it possible something else is wrong? Ear Infection? Is she running a fever? I used to have to give breast milk in a bottle with a fast flow nipple when my daughter was cutting teeth. You could try that or a sippy cup. Something that is a little easier. Also, have you tried banana? If mine won't take anything else, she'll always take banana. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Just keep offering the breast and foods. If you are seriously concerned about it then give the pedi a call.
    Anonymous

• try letting her teeth on an teething ring that you put in the freezer or try a frozen washcloth. you can also try teething tablets, tylonel, and/or orajel. Good luck. if nothing works you should take her to the doctor and maybe they can recomend something.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Are you doing anything to easer her pain? Like Tylenol, teething rings, teeting tablets, etc.

Personally I'd stay away from bab orajel, put some in your mouth and you'll know why, lol. that stuff is harsh, even for babies.

Good luck, hope she gets better soon!

Oh, have you tried switching positions, side lying is a favorite of babies, it may help her relax enough to nurse.

Good luck!!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I'm doing teething tablets, frozen teething rings, ice in a wash cloth, alternating tylenol and motrin. I've nursed her in mutiple positions. Laying down, cradled, football hold, sitting up. I've sat her in her bouncer, the bumbo, her high chair, my lap to try and feed her her cereal and food. She just isn't having it.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 3:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Use a breat pump if you have to. Watch what you eat, because somethings can make your milk taste bitter or sour, which can discourage her from feeding. If she is not loosing weight she will get thru this phaze with out a problem. If she is losing weight check with your doctor. Hold her and love her, her mouth hurts. Play some nice soothing music for her.
    wishbook

Answer by wishbook at 6:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Lol, sounds like you HAVE tried everything. I agree that there may be another culprit?? If it doesn't clear up soon, a visit to the ped. might be in order.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009