Are doc's really saying its ok to smoke while pregnanat

i stoped when i found out i was pregnant with my first also this time and not starting back.i have a friend that is pregnant and she smokes alot like a pack every other day she said she told her doc that she stoped cold turkey and she said he got mad and to her not to do that i was four weeks when i found out and stoped but her doc told her to go ahead im trying to understand it yes its all up to her and i need to stay out of it shes only 5 months and all i wanna do is take that cig and stalmp on it

brittany1983

Asked by brittany1983 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I wonder if there are some underlying issues.

Now granted, my sister wasn't pregnant at the time, but my sister suffered from severe depression (was medicated). She wanted to stop smoking, but her doctor put her on a schedule to stop because he said if she tried to stop cold turkey that it would mess with her already unbalanced brain chemistry and if she tried to stop cold turkey it could cause a lot of problems.
    Maybe something similar is going on?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Some doctors feel that stopping cold turkey can cause stress on the body and in turn the baby. If the withdraws are causing symptoms it can be just as risky as ( if not more so) than cutting back a few at a time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• The people I know who smoked than got pregnant, have said they stopped right away but never heard them say their doctor advised them not to.
    If she can go without it while pregnant, than hopefully she can continue on after giving birth.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Yes, some do, but NOT to keep smoking 2 packs a day, only that cutting back gradually is better than the withdrawal symptoms of quitting cold turkey.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I have heard that the new recommendation is not to quit cold turkey but not quit gradually as to not "shock" your system. By 5 months she should have already gone down to none at all. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• My friend did/said the same. She weaned herself off slowly, was done by 6 months, and have a cute little 4 year old daughter right now.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Doc is correct. That is what they told a friend of mine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• mine told me to try to limit it to 5 cigs a day & that a little caffeine was ok too

Anonymous

• It's actually dangerous to the baby to stop cold turkey while pregnant. The baby was, in a sense, smoking as mom was. So it mom quits cold turkey the baby goes through withdrawal as the mother does except the babies body cannot handle it as well. It is safer for the mother to quit slowly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• i cant say what docs are saying and i dont use any form of tabacco or anything but when i get pregnant i will do everything to keep my baby safe and wont eat any food that might be harmful, drink a drop of alcohol, or put my body in harms way if at all possible!!! i think if you cant quit cold turkey you should quickly drop the amount you smoke daily to decrease any risk you might be causing your baby... obviously i know that smoking doesnt guarantee any harm to your child as my mom smoked while she was pregnant with me and my siblings and we are all perfectly healthly, normal, and smart! but why risk it with your future child! - just my opinion
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 12:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2012