Clarify for me please.

With all the talk of different type of guns, please clarify what type of gun was used in the Sandy Hook school.

Here is an article where they call it a semi-automatic assault rifle.

ARTICLE

I can not find any reason someone would need to have this type of gun.

I have never owned a gun and never will. 

DJDNY

Asked by DJDNY at 7:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• A semi-automatic "assault" rifle is someone trying to make a gun sound scarier than it is, just like those pictures I posted make a regular .22 look scarier than it is. This is nothing more than a standard semi-automatic rifle like all the others sold at WalMart or your local gun store. It's safer than a shotgun because it has less recoil, and easier to aim than a pistol. It is a safer choice than either of those two options.

If you look at the chart at this link: http://pinkhandguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/bulletcalibercomparison.jpg  The round for that gun fall at the smallest end of the scale to the left, not the giant large game/combat ammo on the right. Cont'd

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• In other words, it was a rifle that is considered safe for women to use in competition shooting, home defense or even hunting.  It's ideal for protection in dangerous situations like on a farm or ranch where you have to worry about natural predators.

NotPanicking

• Not to me it isn't!!!! absolutely not! no one has any business with this rifle unless they are at war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 7:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I'm sorry but I stopped reading when they began describing the details of how many times the children were shot and talking about their autopsies. It's also the first time I've seen his face & it's an image that will haunt me. I feel nauseated all over again.

Why would someone need to own a gun like that? For protection I assume, target practice, I really don't know. I'm sure there are people that own them that aren't mentally ill and maybe just like owning one. Who the hell knows? It's not going to bring those sweet children back either way.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

You have no idea what you're talking about, you're just regurgitating sensationalist journalism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I think they said these are guns used in wars and not sure why people would need them in their homes or bullet proof vests.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• And to clarify one last time, the weapon that was there on Friday is NOT an "assault rifle". It is neither full auto nor a burst weapon.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Yes, a semi automatic assault rifle is what he had, capable of killing 20 or more in minutes, each of the children had at least 10 bullet wounds from this rifle...

Answer by older at 7:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I would like some clarification as well. How many Americans own a gun or multiple guns?

The miss use of guns from Adam Lanza justifies those who want stricter gun control and if some could have it their way no guns in a home.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• A goodly number who never have any misuse at all.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2012