If Adam Lanza had not killed himself

Would the police have done so? In movies or crime shows they always shoot at people who've opened fire. I was just merely curious how this works in real life. Do they shoot back, shoot to kill?

As a mother it makes me overwhelmed with grief that the families of those beautiful children and of the heroic staff members will never get justice because he killed himself. They will never fully understand why their loved ones were taken from them. I don't understand why these psychos don't just put the bullets in their heads to start with when they always end up killing themselves after they've taken numerous innocent lives with them.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• If he would have turned the gun on the police, yes they would have shot him.

Answer by louise2 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Its too much to try and figure out.
    When a person dies like this, they take everything with them, leaving behind the pieces for us to try and figure them out.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Man with gun in school- shot dead by police. They would not have hesitated

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Thanks to TN vs. Garner, yes he would have been shot to death. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Remember a few months ago when there was a "mass shooting" on a downtown sidewalk, only forensics found that every person who'd been shot, including the original gunman, was shot by a police weapon. Yes, they shoot back. Sometimes, they don't aim well.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Depends on the situation I guess. In the Aurora case, James Holmes is very much alive, but he was found behind the theater and did not resist. Had he turned a gun on the cops, they probably would have shot without thinking twice about it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I don't understand why these psychos don't just put the bullets in their heads to start with when they always end up killing themselves after they've taken numerous innocent lives with them.

^^I always think the same thing. Just after the school shooting, there was another murder/suicide here in Las Vegas, and I said the same thing. If you want to take yourself out, do it. Don't take anyone with you!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• He would've got the death penalty for sure the rest of the world just would've been able to watch. I think it's awesome that he ended up killing himself. Think about it....it's so easy to let someone else kill u rather than yourself. He felt some pain inside and out. What kind of person who plans on killing the,selves wears a bullet proof vest? He didn't plan on it, he planned on killing as many as possible and then running. My guess his thoughts got the best of him he realized just what he had done after looking innocent little faces in the eye and shot them in cold blood one after another. I got to him so he shot himself. Or he knew he was about to get caught, either way he pulled the trigger on his own head. That's the best way a horrible evil person like that could go. Besides pure torture. The devil has a nice place in hell for him. My he rot and burn and feel the pain those ppl he killed did times 10000!
    Babicakes24

Answer by Babicakes24 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Yes he would've been taken out. Wish he took himself out first and then all of those families wouldn't be grieving right now.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• It's a shame that this man, Adam Lanza, couldn't get the help he needed before he went on the rampage.  As I understand it, his mother had expressed concerns about his stability weeks before the shooting, and that she was worried that he might hurt himself or others.  I also understand that the only mental health clinic in his town had shut down in the 90's, as they are all over this country.  We're living through a recession, with a great deal of uncertainty, easily accessible weapons, and few options to reach out to and help those who are suffering.  At this point, with services being cut, those that serve the mentally ill, or those least able to help themselves, are among the first to be cut.  That leaves us a very vulnerable society.  As far as what would have happened, he would have gone to prison, and finally gotten the services he needed, when it was too late to help.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2012