Everytime I question my son's teacher about his homework, he always tends to give him an F on his homework.

i had called the school to question my son's counselor about him having to take finals at the end of the semester. They had made a new policy at the school where it states that a student does not have to take finals if they had 2 or less absences at the semester before Christmas Break. My son is a 9th grader and Honor Student. He hadn't missed any days of school and has the same teacher in Algebra and Accelerated Physical Science. I have had problems with the teacher from the beginning of the school year, and have talked to the principal on one occasion. My son came home and said his teacher was making him take the finals. I called the school counselor and she told me No, he does not have to take the finals. She was going to talk to the teacher. After this episode, the teacher was giving my son F's on homework he turned in, saying they were missing. I know my son and check his work everyday. he always turns it in..

concernedmom222

Asked by concernedmom222 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• This happened to my son once when he was in H.S. After that episode, I started making copies of all assignments he completed.
    Found out later this teacher was doing the same to other students. She lost her job over irate parents.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• I simply do not understand teachers like this.
    Make an arrangement with the principal or counselor for you son to stop by and copy his work and date it and keep it "on file" that way you have proof that he at least showed up to school with the work done.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• : ( this makes me sad. 9th grade and dealing with this stuff. These gals gave good advice. Can he switch teachers? I think you need to talk to the principal with the teacher. Can someone else look at this work that gets an F and see if it's legit?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I've been saying this all along. There are a lot of people out there that should not be teachers. Most teachers have type A personalities with control and behavioral issues and they seek environments where they have control over weaker people, such as children. Does the teacher have an email address? Can you scan and email a copy of the completed homework to the teacher the same day that your child turns it in? I'd keep copies of the homework as well. Teachers are not perfect. They lie, make bad decisions and should be questioned like anyone else. Go to school board meetings, meet with the principle and do not give up! What if this teacher is doing this to other kids or has been doing this for years? You may also want to invest in a micro video cam to record how the teacher treats your child and to prove that the homework was being turned in. Don't let this teacher ruin his reputation!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I agree with hellokittykat. This teacher seems to have personal issues of his own, and need to be reminded of his duty as a public worker, as a teacher. I believe many teachers are in their position for the money not to teach and educate kids. Those who are there for the kids, will go extra miles to help students no matter what. good luck and God bless!
    ladynell4god

Answer by ladynell4god at 7:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I fully understand sucky teachers But why don't you want your son taking a final? I would be pissed as hell if my son's teacher was lossing his homework and giving him F's.. But there is no way in hell that I would be having my college bound honors students avoid taking finals. There is no reason to set that precident. If the kid has test anxiety he needs to get over it now rather than drop out of college because he just can't take the pressure.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Sounds like teacher has an ego problem. Principal definitely needs to be talked with. Perhaps you and teacher could sit side by side  in the office with principal and make it even more awkward for the teacher, then the teacher can't deny anything while you're around. : )

My Algebra teacher was a BUTT.

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• This teacher was giving my son problems from the beginning of the school year and I did ask for a meeting with his counselor, teacher, and principal. It did get a little heated, with the teacher pointing his finger in my face. The principal didn't say much! His counselor is very nice and talked to the teacher about letting him do the homework over and she suggested that I keep my son in this teacher's Physical Science because he would earn an extra credit towards graduation and she told me that this teacher is the only teacher who teaches Physical Science to those who passed their State Final Math exams when he was in 8th grade. I told the teacher we will see how it goes after the meeting. It was alright up until now. My son is a straight A student and the counselor told me that this new policy states very clearly that the students who have 2 or less absences are exempt from taking finals. I don't know about this teacher
    concernedmom222

Comment by concernedmom222 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• the counselor also told my son that when he re-did his homework... that he turn it in to her, so she can take it to the teacher..(that way it won't show up missing ,or the teacher can't say he didn't turn it in and give him F's. it always seems that every time I question this teacher about my son's F's...which I know he does his homework (because I check it after he finishes it everyday. I told the teacher that my son is very organized and keeps each of his homework papers in a folder for each class. He puts his homework back in his folder and I make sure it is in there...But every time I question the teacher or cal the counselor about this, I notice the teacher starts giving him bad grades...It gets very frustrated at times, but I know my son works very hard and this teacher always gives his students about 6 or 7 pages of Science for homework everyday. he spends most of his time after school doing homework.
    concernedmom222

Comment by concernedmom222 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2012

• My son works very hard for his grades and makes A's on all his tests. The school is rewarding the student's who do not have more than 2 absences exempt from the testing. This is the new policy at his school.. His counselor had also asked the teacher if there was a possibility that another student is taking my son's homework out of the basket and copying it. She said this was happening to another student in another class and the teacher finally caught the student taking this Straight A student's homework. My son's teacher said that is was not possible, because he states he is very organized...but if he was so organized, why would my son's homework all of a sudden come up missing after I have a question to the teacher or counselor. This teacher did admit that he was a very hard teacher...My son has 7 or 8 pages of physical science every night and this takes up all of his time...(not counting the other homework he has..
    concernedmom222

Comment by concernedmom222 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2012