Is this considered a bad word?

Is Negro considered a bad word. When people are talking they have different ways of putting things. Some say black, some say nego, some say colored. So what is the correct word to use when referring to black people. Do you say african american? like we do with chinese people. And we don't call mexicans, brown people. So is the term black person really correct? And this is mainley referring to what someone not black would refer to a black person as. We all know black people can call each other names that another race would get bashed for saying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no idea, honestly. Call me politically incorrect, but I say "black".

I don't say "African American" because that's not technically correct. A white person could be "African American".

If someone looks at me they are going to say I'm white, so I don't feel weird about calling someone black.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• How about just saying non-white? Do you think that would be considered bad or demeaning? I use it sometimes to refer to someone who is mixed, like Mr. Obama, or someone who's ethnicity I do not know. Like if someone looks Mexican, but they could be from some country in South America, or Puerto Rico and they would not liked to be called Mexican.
    Anonymous

• I would say ask yourself how do you feel when you say it? Does it make you feel uncomfortable?
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I say black. My cousins are half and we say half-black. To me "colored" is not the right term but that's just me. But i'm sure people have different opinions. My neice's teacher told her class never call them black, they are colored! So we had to set her straight on that one.
    Anonymous

• I never thought negro was a bad word, although I do not use it..
    I have to say that I do not care for the non-white thing..never heard that either.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I use African -American because I was taught that was a respectful way of addressing those of that particular race.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

No but there are other words that don't make me uncomfortable either. But saying them on here is forbidden.
    Anonymous

• Negro to me isn't a bad word, the other N word is, even when used to each other! I think the non-white thing is a negative, meaning you are NON something or the other and that isn't good either. Colored can be any race, if you call someone colored, I'd be like "what color"....imo. African, well, do you always refer to every one who is black as African, what happens if that person was born and raised in Canada....don't you call them Canadian Americans? Just a question. I say black. I watch a little girl who is bi racial, she is 1/4 black, even her family refers to her as that, so.......
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 2:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• negro just sounds too much like the other word and is probably a little old fashioned.

I have friends that are black that call themselves Black. They don't call themselves African American because they aren't from Africa. They are from Tennessee.

I also have friends that are black that call themselves African American. They are from Atlanta.

so? don't know what to think.
    RainingHeart

Answer by RainingHeart at 2:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Latinos

African American

Asians

Caucasians,etc

Anonymous