whats the difference between pre school and head start??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I never saw a huge difference. My first two went to private preschool until they were ready for kindergarten and they were just as ready as kids who came from headstart. I guess the big difference is one is govt funded and most preschools are paid by the parents privately. Basically the same thing though.

Answer by gemgem at 2:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Head Start is Government Funded. They have certain guides and policies to go by. They also have a wage scale to go back as for who can attend. Pre-School like at Public School. Is still wage scale rated, however doesn't fall under the government umbrella..more state ran.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Preschool is for kids who turn 4 before the school deadline which for unfortunaely sept.1 and my daughter was born on Sept 12! Head Start is when you are making less then the average and government pays for it! That means your 4 year-old could go to prek free! That is how it is in Texas! I Florida your kids can go free!
    wlradun

Answer by wlradun at 3:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It depends on the head start program. Ours here SUCKS. Headstart will take some 3 year olds, it generally for lower incomes, special needs children and if there are any slots left, open to the general public (for lack of a better phrase right now)

Preschool may be run by the school district, or you can send them elsewhere and pay for it (around here, anyway)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2009