11-year-old will face charges for bringing gun to school

An 11-year-old boy who brought a gun to a West Kearns Elementary School Monday is facing criminal charges after allegedly threatening a classmate.

Granite School District administrators said the sixth-grader packed the .22 caliber handgun, along with ammunition, in his backpack and brought it to class.

The boy told administrators he did it to protect himself in case a school shooting similar to the massacre in Newtown, Conn., happened here. But classmate Isabelle Rios said that's not how he used the weapon

"He pulled out a gun and he put it to my head — me and my friend — (and) said he was going to kills us," Isabelle said. "I told him I was going to tell, but he said, ‘If you tell, I'm going to kill you.'"

Isabelle said it happened during morning recess, but she didn't alert her teacher until around 3:00 in the afternoon.

Upon learning the information the teacher acted quickly, disarming the student in a matter of seconds, and took him to the school's office. Police officers were called and arrived within minutes.

"This teacher in particular put herself with this student and took him into physical custody to ensure that he was not able to use that weapon to harm anybody," said Ben Horsley, spokesman for the Granite School District.

The gun was found in the boy's backpack, Horsley said. There was ammunition there too, but the gun was not loaded when the teacher found it.

Family members of students remained at West Kearns Elementary throughout the evening as they were briefed about the situation.

"I'm taking my kids out of school. They ain't coming back here," said Mandee Doyle, whose children attend the school.

"Now that I'm thinking about it, it's kind of sad how easy it is to get in and out of school, and something needs to be done," said John Klaus, whose nieces and nephews attend the school.

Horsley said the school district will investigate and pursue criminal charges against the 11-year-old. The extent of what those charges might be won't be decided on until later this week.

I am having a hard time understanding why the parents aren't facing charges. If its their gun, I think they should. Its not very easy for a 11 year old to get a gun. My ex thinks I am crazy for wanting to home school now. This school is not to far from where we live. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the boy and the parents should be prosecuted.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I agree the parents should face charges as well, if it is their gun. There is no reason the 11 yo should have been able to get his hands on their gun and bring it to school with him.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• An eleven year old can obtain a gun that easily, how did the parents prevent this?
    It's no wonder we have gun problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• yet another irresponsible gun owner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I grew up around guns, has access to guns, so do my kids

^^ Kids should not have access to GUNS! Why would a kid need to have access.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• "Why would a kid need to have access. "

You're a city gal, aren't ya? Dh was exposed to and had access to guns at a very early age. He went hunting with his father, and was taught to respect guns and proper gun safety was strictly enforced at his house. It was drilled into his head at a early age. His dad traveled a lot and they lived out in the middle of nowhere. A gun to protect from predators (both animal and human) was needed, and he knew how to use it and when to use it. He also knew how to respect it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I think child services will be involved in some way
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 10:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• WOw, another example of bad parenting and lack of values. You just don't let a gun be avalable to kids at any time. I think they all need to be charged . The parents are idiots.
    The most depressing thing ever is hearing that children are being taught how to shoot guns, how to be a gun owner of the futire. Kids are supposed to be protected from violence and they are supposed to be innocent. Whatever happened to childhood?
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I grew up around guns, has access to guns, so do my kids - it's all in how they learn to respect guns. Yes, the parents are just as much at fault.
    It is still not the guns fault or responsible gun owners fault.

I wouldn't say allowing your kids to have access to guns is "responsible gun ownership".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Of course that child needs some consequences. He knew it was wrong to take a gun to school, or he wouldn't have told his classmates not to tell. Prosecuted does not mean he is facing adult prosecution. He will face juvenile court, and he should. And it would be interesting to know how he got the gun. Was it just in a nightstand drawer in his parents room? Any 11 year old would be able to get that, and those parents are stupid. But, was it locked in a gun safe, with a trigger guard, and he figured out where the keys were? That takes a little more manuevering, and planning, on his part. My dad had guns when I was a kid. But they were locked away, and I knew if I even touched the gun cabinet, I would unleash a shit storm of trouble on my head that I'd never get away from!!! Had I done so at age 11, that would be more on me, than on him...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2012