I was asked this...

if a man is truely as insane as the shooter appears to have been then how will he be judged? We all say he was insane, nuts, fruitcake, possesed, etc but if that is the case then he had no control over his actions.

I'm not saying by any means that what he did was right BUT if you have no control over your actions then are you judged and sent to Hell? Kinda crazy to think about.

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 10:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Hmmm... this is kind of a tough one. Here's why. To begin, a person can be severely mentally ill and still be calculating and methodical in their actions. I believe this is the case with these mass shootings. No one in their right mind would methodically plan to kill so many people.

So a person is mentally ill. They are aware of their actions... but only as aware as their ailing mind can allow. In their mind, they what they are doing is completely fine, and that their actions are justified.

So... according to what I was taught when I was growing up, in order for something to be a mortal sin, you have to be aware that your actions are wrong, to deliberately, with full knowledge commit the sin. However, if the mind is that sick, and they are convinced they are not doing wrong, are they committing a mortal sin? Idk, it's still a sin, but what God will think about it, I truly don't know.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• You don't just wander in a stupor onto school property, wearing bullet proof gear, armed with several guns, and not be aware of your actions.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• one reason the idea of God makes no sense to me
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I don't know. I leave that up to God.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I do not believe he was insane either , these types of things take planning before the actual action is taken. I don't see these guys waking up one morning and saying "crap I better go get a bullet proof vest and AK in case I want to shoot some place up today". There are many disturbed and mentally ill people that would never consider such a thing.

God... He will judge as he see's fit, I have no say in it so try not to dwell on it.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I don't see any point in trying to rationalize the actions of others on a "Grand scale" to justify what they may or may not have done. Some things we are able to answers others we may never know. If one believes in a higher power then they will probably believe that either a) this was all in some god's plan or b) justice will be served in the afterlife. In either case it is simply something that helps them sleep at night. What I think about that...well we'll just leave that be.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I wouldn't think that we'd have any way of knowing that
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 10:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I agree with tmm786 - no one just happens to grab a gun, protect themselves and no know what they're doing... They have to gather the guns, etc. and drive to said location...
    I don't buy the insane plea - I don't think, that is the issue in some of these cases.
    It's our society that wants everything and thinking they deserve everything... Not having to work for anything -
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Now before people jump all over me, I don't defend the actions of these mass murderers. However, I wanted to point out that mentally ill does not mean that you have no idea what you are doing. Only a sick mind would be so cold and calculating. If God exists, and if He does judge us upon our death, I'm sure these murderers will get what is due to them. What that will be, I don't pretend to know or understand.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Its a misconception that people who are "insane" or mentally ill aren't responsible for their actions. Very very few mental illnesses truly prevent a person from knowing right from wrong. They may be unable to understand consequences, or be unable to benefit from punishment, but that doesn't preclude understanding what is right, and what is wrong. And I do not believe for one moment that Adam Lanza was ever unable to control his actions. However, how he is judged is between him and God, and does not concern me. To me, he made his choices, and it's been dealt with... now its time to help the survivors.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2012