Society to Blame - what we have become...

Everyone wants the news gadget, newest phone, newest computer, better car, etc...

What are we making of our children, who thinking the deserve everything without working for it?

It drive me nuts while shopping to see a young child in a shopping basket watching a movie or playing a game on a phone or other device. What happened to TALKING to your kids - when my were little they'd hold the shopping list, check off things as we got them. Helped me pick red or green apples this week.

Look at that neat - whatever in the store...
No one talking to their kids anymore, just give them a device and leave them alone.

Than of course they want the newest thing cuz Timmy down the street got one. So, people just get the kids new devices to keep them quite.

No just kids, young adults - Who just want everything without working for it...

We do have TV in our home, no one needs to sit in front of a tv for hours everyday. We have one desktop computer and a kindle. My kids do have cell phone because they play sports, stay after school for practice and go to games etc. No video games or other devices...
Although, I have admit I love the invention of GPS - used when traveling...

Any guess what - my kids do well in school, in advance classes and they're stuff no ill effect or pain without all these other devices.

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2012 in General Parenting

• You're a woman after my own heart. I live a simple life and don't know half of what all of these new razors, blueberries, iphones, ipads... maxipads...(jk) whatever...are...
    My day consists of doing household chores, loading wood into the wheel barrow, building a fire in the wood stove, cooking meals from scratch, homeschooling my son, taking long walks with our dogs, reading lots of books and sitting and mending or thinking about quilts to make for my niece... I'm only 36, so it IS POSSIBLE for a young woman to still live like the old fashioned women. ; )
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Sassy, it's not the toys, devices or material things they have or don't have, that creates a murderer.
    It's not the lack of neighbors, sports and friends, that makes a murderer.
    I was raised in a horrible environment at home, where beatings were common occurrences. Alcohol flowed through my father.
    I didn't have anything to be proud of, family or material, but guess what? I didn't grow up to be a murderer!

You're making assumptions that are clearly ridiculous!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Then what was hitlers excuse? Or Stalin, saddam, all the other terrible people that were responsible for mass murders and genocide long before the invention of electronic devices?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Was there a question here or just a sermon?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I am so sick of reading garbage like this every time someone does something horrible. Blame society, blame video games, blame computers, blame single moms, blame sugar or fast food or electricity or any number of things. How about looking at the person who did something horrible, and his individual life and circumstances, instead of making idiot blanket statements about the world?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Who is this "we" you speak of? In my house I'm the parent and my kids do what I say. Only my husband has any say in how the kids are raised. YOU are not a part of that so take your sanctimommy crap elsewhere
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Good to know there is one perfect mom in this world.

Now see, that's not how I read it. What I see is someone who is so out of control of her children, she cannot trust them to behave and be in possession of electronic devices. Hardly the way to prepare future members of society for a decidedly non-Luddite world. I can't imagine letting things get so far that I cannot trust my son to still want to go outside and play or read a book just because he's allowed to watch The Universe on Netflix or build physics models with Incredibots.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Actually my kids are straight a students and don't spend all day playing video games even if they have them. I'm just not a self righteous bitch that thinks I can look down on others. If youbwantbto say the shooter had scrappy parentsvthen say so but you're overlooking other factors trying to put the blame on one thing you can lord over and say you're better than others for. You're not. And thie shooting was a product of a combination of things not a single issue you can pin a rose on and burn it for.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• My daughter is a gamer- and is about to start her next semester of college soon...
    and getting very good grades like always I might add...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• KristiS11384 - is someone feeling a little guilty and insecure.

What a bitchy comment. You must be so proud. Do you speak to your children that way too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2012