Poll: Has your child ever done any of these things?

Shot up a store because you said no to a candy bar?
Committed a crime because you let him or her play Angry Birds on your phone at the store?

Just curious, since there's another question insisting that's a cause and effect situation...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Nope to either of those. Amazingly enough he actually interacts with other people even when he could be playing on his xbox or my phone.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• No and No

*my daughter DID bite my leg once though at Target because she wanted candy...I told her if she didn't let go-I'd spank her butt right there in front of God and everyone else! Needless to say, she let go and did not get the candy ; )
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• No, my child can throw tantrums but, has never committed a crime. Of course, she's only 6 & behaves better in public & in school, than she does at home.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• No to either, and she prefers Stupid Zombies to Angry birds. However if she misbehaves in the store I just tell her I'll put the Broccoli back unless she behaves. She behaves.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I just tell her I'll put the Broccoli back unless she behaves.

We just tell him we'll use it for soup - he loves broccoli, hates cream of broccoli soup.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• My kid shoplifted because I said no toys, so I'm not so quick to judge. We also paid for the toy, and waited for another kid to come out, so he could hand the toy to him.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• LMAO... is that where that is going?

No, my kids have played games... and not hurt anyone....

They have been denied candy... and never hurt anyone.

I just didn't see that question going THAT far, that is insanity.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• LMAO... is that where that is going?

Think it was the 3rd OP comment, maybe the 4th, we hit the "shoot up a store" wall.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• No. My kids are young though. They are still pretty empathetic toward others. I would imagine that if they started to act this way as they matured that it would be a sign of mental illness, at which time I would get them the help they need as long as I had the power to do so. It's more problematic when they are of legal age and cannot be forced to get medical or emotional support for their problems.

I saw a comment about not seeing the flaws in our own children.  I see the flaws in mine and I work with them in as supportive way as possible to correct what we can.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• LOL NO
    But I do think the use of devices to avoid interacting with a child has detrimental effects on the child.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2012