Poll: Has your child ever done any of these things?

Shot up a store because you said no to a candy bar?
Committed a crime because you let him or her play Angry Birds on your phone at the store?

Just curious, since there's another question insisting that's a cause and effect situation...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• The only crime either of my children has ever committed is stealing a gift card from the checkout lane at the grocery store.

Tantrums at stores rarely ever happen because they know that means they won't get chocolate milk. Even when they do happen, they consist of tears and bad attitudes, not violence.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Btw, where is the question that sparked this one?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Actually, wouldn't it be ideal if there WERE that easy of a correlation between violent behavior and video games, or whatever. I mean, take a kid like Adam Lanza. From all reports, it seems like his mom tried everything to get him help as a child, and was still very concerned about him, and was still looking for ways to help him. Im sure she would have LOVED to have someone tell her when he was a small child, "Its really very simple, just eliminate the video games, and your child will be fine. He will grow up to be a happy productive member of society". Sheesh. All of the parents of behaviorally challenged kids would love something that simple... But it's not. And, no, NP... my kids are grown, and they played all sorts of video games, devices, etc and they've never hurt anyone...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• No, my kids are still babies, though. I will say this though: my younger brother and sister are twins. They were both raised by the same parent in the same house. They went to the same school, had same video games (super Nintendo and Nintendo 64), same one television, and the same deadbeat dad. My sister graduated from high school with a 3.95 GPA and was valedictorian of her class. My brother on the other hand never made it past the 8th grade. He didn't care about school; he lied almost nonstop, stole money from my mom numerous times and his siblings, and he had bad anger issues, too. Not long after he turned sixteen, he and 2 of his friends decided to break and enter one of his friend's uncle's house while the uncle was out of state. They stole guns and some other things and sold the guns to a drug dealer. The point is your environment (society) isn't the only factor. We could completely change our way of living and....
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• Still have crimes and violence. Wish it was that easy.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• well my 4 year old did say "im gonna punch you in the face" the other night at bed time...but then she said it with a smile on her face while we were joking around and cried when i calmly explained that isnt nice & that we shouldnt say that. she overheard it at school and repeated it...im assuming it was during recess, ya know while playing outside.

yet im sure it was all the fault of the painting app on her dad's Surface or the educational games she plays on the internet. maybe its the child appropriate shows she watches. or the Christmas music i have on pretty much all day.

oh no! my parents bought her a "help me read" electronic book...is she gonna shoot up her school now?!

idiots...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• My children know better because their actions have consequences. We do not tolerate fit throwing or tantrums and they get disciplined if such things happen. Also they only have so much video game or tv time a week.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 11:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• Nope. Only "violence" problem I have out of my kids is my 8 year old Autisic son has a biting problem. If he is angry and someone (usually his little sister) gets in his face, he will bite. He's bit me and my dh a few times and we had it stopped for a while. He had a recent emotional experience and he has been doing it since. Oh, and he doesn't play videos games, so that can't be it. Maybe it came from all the kid appropriate movies he watches?
    I WISH it was that easy a problem to fix!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2012

• Lmao I should hope never!
    Lovemyfamilyof8

Answer by Lovemyfamilyof8 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2013